Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR VS Ride Comfort..

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Hey Guy's and Girl's..
Just wondering if all these utes have a harsh ride or not? curious to find out if i can make it a little bit more smooth.. because ATM if I closed a container with milk and chocolate syrup in it and sat it on the seat, it would turn into a milkshake with in a minute drive lol.

Have 19's and slightly lowered, i think sl but not 100% and yeh, 245/35R19 tires if that makes a difference...

Anyways, I don't mind a lot but my mother has a awful back and has had 9 surgeries on it and its still **** house and i would love to take my car but its just dreadful for her :(

been told i need to replace my front rod bush's or something like that :/ lol... I have the item that i need to replace but i still think their are a lot more things that can help so your cleverness is much appreciated :) Don't want it to be a boat but pretty sure i can't have the best of both worlds so yeh. thanks again :)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
U u want comfort, ur going to have to ditch the 19s and drop down to 16s, 17s max.. This will give u more side wall and a bit more give. Doing this alone will make a world of difference.

Suspension wise, fe2 springs will give u a softer ride and it won't be too high, but won't be in the weeds.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Didn't you put stock tyres on the rear? Surely you noticed the ride was nowhere near as harsh?

ephect is on the money, though 15' or 16's would be my pick, even 17's are a little harsh for that situation.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Steering will be lighter with the standard wheels too, and much nicer to drive. Not to mention much smoother as others have already said

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
If you want a smooth ride don't do the following
King Springs
Full Nolathane Bushes
18 Inch Rims

Yes, it handles superbly on the occasional super flat smooth road, but otherwise its pretty harsh.

Drop down to at least 17inch, but 15 inch wheels give a very smooth ride
Go Fe2, or pedders lowered springs as I have found they are softer
If you need to replace bushes I reckon go with the standard rubber ones, just coz they transmit less harshness to you.

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Yes I did put 15's on the back and did not notice very much other then on big speed bump's and also heard that lovell's is nice for comfort? I really like my 19's :( might keep them and just deal, but I do think that the bushes need replacing...Does that make a big difference in ride comfort? and can I get soft shocks also or will that make my car a even bigger boat?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Have heard lovells are good too. Worn out bushes can make the ride rougher. Replace them with standard bushes to keep it comfy, or aftermarket ones for better handling but more of a harsh ride. With suspension everything has to work together, So you need shocks to match the springs for best handling/comfort.

If it is a bit lowered it won't be as much a boat as a standard height. I know these utes with stock suspension feel like they are tipping over when you go around corners tho, so keep it a bit lower I reckon, compromise a little though.

Jaymz.308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Ute V6eco.
One thing you can also try, is check and make sure the rear bumpstops aren't sitting on the axle. I lowered my VS ute with kings lows and they were almost touching (about 1cm gap) and was a very rough ride. Changed my bumpstops to pedders lowered bumpstops and now the ride is smooth as. Turns out that the axle was smashing the bumpstops in the rear on every bump causing my harsh ride.

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
oh ok good tips guys thanks :) When I have the coin I will be doing ALL bushes and gearbox and engine mounts (not that that contributes to ride comfort) and then eventually going to a sssl or even more with bags and new shocks when I do that.. Bag is pretty cheap on ebay, but what about the compressor and the rest? Don't want a tank, just compressor if that can be done ? and even though I go super low when I do that.. I will have it at a good hight for driving and that, will the bags help smoothen the ride when i get them?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm running FE2 and the difference the 15x7 with fat rubber made to the ride was amazing. Also sits nice IMO, not too high not too low.