Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr/vs statesman dash conversion!

Brockpaxton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Spac
I am aware that there is alot of threads about this topic but i can not find what im looking for :(
I have a Vr spac 3.8l and i want to put a statesman dash in it (cluster and all), i have heard that you need to get the dash out of the same model statesman for example i would need a vr 3.8l buick statesman dash which i have line up! My question is if i have a statesman dash+cluster+statesman loom is it just plug and play? or is there a bit more work involved? and what does the loom plug into? the engine ecu? or the body control? where is the body control (computer)? not sure what its even called haha? does it matter that my car is manual? and can i use the base model heating/cooling or will i need to go through changing heater core and so forth? my car has a stage 2 cluster if this helps at all! if someone could tell me the answers to all there questions i would be so happy!! or even lead me onto the right thread?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
First up decide what you want to do..
biggest issue is deciding on climate control or standard heater aircon control... If you have a full doner statesman then you will have all the parts you need..just a big job
if you stay with the stock heater/aircon controls you will need a patch lead...
Honestly a complete dash swap is a lot of work for very little gain and there are bound to be compatibility issues, you gain a slightly curvier dash and a clock :)
Patch lead and level3 dash in the standard car about 1/2 a days work
complete transfer of dash climate control, bmc, electric windows, wiring, door cards ect if your lucky about a week :)

With a little bit of bling you can make the orig dash look classy...or at least tacky chic ;)

Last edited:

Brockpaxton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Spac
I have a full statesman donor car ready to go haha, all i want is the dash in there with the clock working and level 3 cluster, dont want the climate control or bcm or anything is this still a hard task? i know how to remove the dash it's the wiring thats tricking me :/ any idea on what to do?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
You will need a patch loom VR VS Patchloom | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia West Torrens Area - Keswick | 1110604364 or you will have to make one yourself using a couple of plugs from the stato dash loom and splice them into the spacs dash loom the tripin thread will guide you on how to do this
The Spac bcm should be fine but you will need to use the Spac headlight switch...and the patch lead will have to be modded slightly to allow for the clock, should be a simple matter of splicing in 2 or 3 wires

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Speaking from someone who has done a full conversion. It is actually easier then it sounds. Hardest part is getting the new body loom harness into your car.
However it only took me about a day to do the full dash and climate control box swap. Power windows took the best part of the day as they were a pain in the ass.

If the Statesman is a V6 VR then you will have no issues. Cluster will slot straight in and work.

But if you have the full donor car, at least consider doing a full conversion. In my opinion it's worth it.

Brockpaxton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Spac
okay so if i want to just change the dash and cluster (with clock and trip computer) i use the factory statesman loom and plug it where my old loom was? then run my old heating/cooling and headlight wires onto statesman one is that all i need to do? i believe i may have to run a fuel wire? to get the trip computer working? where do i run this wire and will the old and new heating cooling be easy?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
That sounds about right. not 100% sure as I didn't pay much attention to these parts when I did mine. But I know a lot of the plugs will connect straight up.
Not sure on the extra fuel wire.

festa40

Reaction score
Members Ride
99vs spac ute
hi i am doing my 99 spac vs ute now i dont have a donor i connected the stato loom and all the tip computer work fine clock etc i too need to do the standard a/c controls and wondered on how i could patch to get a/c working but my main problem is the cluster instrument lights.
so here goes when u turn ign key on the lcd display light green so i figure normal day running mode when u turn lights on to park or low beam the lcd back lights go off but nothing lights behind gauges would appreciate any help or advice thanks
also forgot to say i discovered on the spac loom there are 2 grey wires on the one pin of light switch that isnt on the stato loom ?

festa40

Reaction score
Members Ride
99vs spac ute
hey wuzza will i do damage if i fit the stato dash and connect loom to the level 3 cluster before bcm's have been swapped ? thanks

Last edited: