Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS steering wheel on VN

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
get the puller and save yourself a whole lotta hurting and the back pocket to:thumbsup:

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Yeah, I might have to look into the puller...

We tried to be gentle and also forceful ... Tried all methods to pull it off, but it would not budge... I didn't want to try hitting it with a hammer or anything tho... Thanks for the help guys...

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
hey i tried having a go at taking my steering wheel off last night and could get the muth off any idea's?

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
1991_Vn2nV said:
Dont force it...

One hand on each side of the wheel. A gentle pull left, gentle right again and again and it will slide off easy as can be man.
QUOTE]

this method works i can reasure you.
Don't be brutal this will not work and only cause damage.

if not try the top and bottom, it will work.

i had a vs wheel on my vn (was on there when i got it)
but the horn was irradic and would go off by itself around round abouts. lol.
Now i have a momo wheel.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Just remember, that a vs wheel requires a special GM wheel puller as it has no holes with threads to place the wheel puller on it. Those GM wheel pullers are not cheap :p

MR.SV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SV5000 *BURNT* :(
Try light spray of CRC 2-3 times the day of, or the day before you try getting the wheel off.
The slowly side to side method should then work, or alternately use the knees to hold the wheel and a soft drift and few hammer knocks to the steering column shaft.
Wheel pullers sound great but I don't see the point for something that is used so little - also a workmate broke an aftemarket wheel using a puller on it!!!

When you put your new wheel on put a small amount of anti-size on the shaft and you'll never need a puller:)

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
I remember an article in JUST COMMODORES about removing a VN steering wheel.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
make one yourself, bit of plate, couple small bolts for the steering wheel, big as bolt through the middle on the shaft and turn, easy, i made one to suit the momo boss kits and it works every time, never broken oneyet:yeah:

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Ok .. Well decided to do a bit of work on the car tonight.. Gave her a bit of a clean, tried to find out if there is a water leak in the cabin (smells a bit) bought a wheel puller, and got some new wipers (as the old ones were 1-Rusted and 2-The previous owner had taped the blades on)

Did the clean, couldn't find the leak, attached the wipers, but still could not get the bloody wheel off... What the hell ...

The only thing that happened is the washers that held the brace in place would bend and the bolt that went over the main bolt to pull it off would then start to slide a little... I am begining to think the previous owner has welded the bloody thing on ... Grrrrrr !!!!!!

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Success !!!! I did it ... I would not take no for an answer... I teamed up with my mechanic friend, and we cracked it ... We still used the wheel puller but gave the steering column a slight pounding also .. The only problem though is that the indicators are not clicking off anymore... I haven't had a chance to look at that yet, but will see how it goes...

Totally off topic, but the new windscreen wipers I put on kick *ss ... I replace the whole blade and assembly. The only thing left was the original stalk... At a cost of only about $22 it is so much better ...