Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS steering wheel on VN

slimman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Wagon And VQ SII
G'day
I was just wondering if i could fit a VR/VS (airbag or not) steering wheel to my VN (no Airbag of course) By Just putting it on and if it had an airbag can i just remove the assembly and hope for the best?

Any help would be appreciated!

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I got a VN HSV Momo wheel today .. Looks quite nice... Just a little smaller then the stock wheel, but not much ...

Anyway.. I tried to take the stock wheel off and it didn't want to budge... I have taken plenty of wheels off in my time, but could not do it. I even called my neighbour to give it a shot and could not make it budge either...

So we took the center bolt out (well we left it on a couple of threads so we wouldn't smash the wheel in our face), pulled and stressed and strained, and wouldn't move... Took all the horn assembly off, same result... How the hell do you get the wheel off ???

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
i have this tool that blots onto the weel and you use a ring spanner to screw them off works every time. want more info i'll gve you a pic to show how it works.

slimman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Wagon And VQ SII
1991_Vn2nV said:
Yeah they fit straight on. Might be a small gap at the back, but thats it. They definitely fit.

I'd advise just finding one without an airbag from a VR... Would be easier.

Cheers Mate, I'll get one then

slimman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Wagon And VQ SII
89vncommy said:
I got a VN HSV Momo wheel today .. Looks quite nice... Just a little smaller then the stock wheel, but not much ...

Anyway.. I tried to take the stock wheel off and it didn't want to budge... I have taken plenty of wheels off in my time, but could not do it. I even called my neighbour to give it a shot and could not make it budge either...

So we took the center bolt out (well we left it on a couple of threads so we wouldn't smash the wheel in our face), pulled and stressed and strained, and wouldn't move... Took all the horn assembly off, same result... How the hell do you get the wheel off ???

If You get either a steering wheel puller or a universal (gear) puller you should be able to get it off, there pretty straight forward to use. I think supercheap aut o do have steering wheel pullers and they shouldn't be more than $15 or so for a cheapie, but be careful it doesn't backfire on you!:cry:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Dont force it...

One hand on each side of the wheel. A gentle pull left, gentle right again and again and it will slide off easy as can be man.

I was at the wreckers and this guy was pullin like psycho, then went at it with a hammer... so i did what i said above, nice and gentle and it came straight off... Works a treat...

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Whatever you do don't beat it with a hammer. You've gotta remember that the steering column is designed to collapse. You hit it too hard and it collapses and you need a whole new column. The wheel puller will do the trick.

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
Rubber Mallet around the outside works well too

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
This maybe frowned upon, but if you get a short section of wooden broom handel, and a hammer, than jam your knees behind the wheel and using the piece of broom handel as a drift, line it up on the end of the steering column and hit that with the hammer.. this prevents the column from colapsing, and won't stuff the thread on the end.. worked for me a couple of times.. but you do this one at your own risk