Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR wiper/indicator fuse keeps blowing- help needed

blakerv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Ute
Today I was driving my VR ute and i turned on the wipers and heard the fuse blow. I changed the fuse and noticed it shares the same fuse as the indicators. Anway I started her up and tried the wipers only to hear the fuse blow again. I tried a 3rd time with a heavier fuse and still the same thing. Now I have no wipers or indicators and I live in cairns where it is currently raining most of the time. FML.

I have checked all the indicator bulbs and they are fine (the hazzard lights still work btw..) I had a quick look around the fuse box under the steering wheel and cannot see any shorts/breaks in any wires. The plastic cover below the window that covers the wiper motor was replaced about 18months ago when i bought the car with a brand new one.. so there is no chance water could have shorted the motor.
I have not had any trouble with the wipers/indicators in the past so i have no idea what is causing this.

Has anyone had a similar problem before and knows of a fix? Any help on where to look or what to replace would be great.

Thanks

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
I would say it's your wiper motor that is shorting an blowing the fuse, if it doesn't blow when u indicate then it's not that circuit, I have never had that problem but it's just a process of elimination try unplugging your wiper motor an then see if the fuse pops if it doesn't then that in theory should eliminate the wiring, also check your wiper arms aren't stuck at all that could also cause the fuse to blow, as I say I've never had the problem just trying to help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
In the meantime, get some Rain-X ...and coat the windscreen with it - you 'almost' don't need wipers as it repels the water so good. Apart from that I'd say Jimmer79's advice is spot on.

hitman1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
change out the hazard switch my vs ute had the same problem it shorts out the i wipers and indicators even know the hazards still work