Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR With 3.9L (bored) VY ECOTEC V6

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
Has anyone done an ECOTEC conversion into a VR Commodore, running the VR wiring and chip?
Basically, I've had 4 motors in the car now (due to 2 VR motors throwing bearings on me, and having NOT been hammered, as well as the original motor having big-ends thrown when I purchased the car). Basically, I got sick of the VR motor's throwing bearings (the original threw big-ends, the next threw a cam bearing, and then the third VR motor threw the mains at 1 & 2), so I had a bored-out VY ECOTEC put in (capactiy is now 3,872cc instead of 3,791cc).

Basically, I'd like to know if anyone done this conversion, while maintaining the VR wires & chip? If so, does anyone know the power output of theirs? I'd like to know a rough figure of what I should be getting... and considering the motor (installed "new" - aka rebuild) was just rebuilt at .040" over (making the motor 3,872cc), and a compression ratio of roughly 10:1 - only 12,000km ago - which should increase that extra minute bit...

Power and torque figures of any conversion similar to this would be great! The car is also running a Borg Warner (M39 ?) T5 gearbox...

On another note, I also have a bit of a problem with the car stalling at idle (after decelleration) when coming up to / at an intersection. I've been told by the mechanic at the wreckers where I got the motor from, that it's a problem with the 'idle motor' (from memory) ???

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
that stalling problem sounded like what mine did after the manual conversion when i forgot to plug in the manual computer.....!

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
I can garuantee that the manual ECU is properly connected! I spoke with the mechanic / owner of the wrecking yard yesterday, and he suggested some idle-control component (I think he said "idle motor" - but, I'm not sure).

So, has anyone done this conversion (whether auto (a bit more difficult) or manual)? And, has anyone got figures?

At this stage, I'll even take approximations at power / torque figures.
It has .040" oversized pistons, and all-VY internals, with an approximate 10:1 compression ratio, and running on an OEM VR manual loom (even though the car was an auto from the factory).

Anyone who wants to have a guess (that knows what they're talking about)...?

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
Does anyone there have any figures???

I was talking to a guy up here who said he had put an ECOTEC into a VN... but, he didn't know any figures either, and considering it was all on VN wiring, the figures would be different again anyways.

deanos70

Reaction score
if its only happening on decelleration i would say its a problem with the speed sensor signal to the ecu
other wise i would imagine it would stall all the time as it idles