Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vrvs sedan water found in boot how i tested to find where the water was leaking from

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
i found water in the boot so i tested for boot lid leaking there was none, put water around rear window and ran the side of the car, and i found water in the boot again. then i tried again and used food colouring around window gently and not letting it over flow so it went around the seal and the colour used didn't show in boot. So i used a different colour around the metal bit the at covers the metal between the quarter window bottom and the roof between rear windows. Then i opened the boot and found the water with food colouring so i removed the little metal cover and silicone it back on and now it doesn't leak.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Good post - maybe you should do the other side at the same time as they usually leak in pairs. Be careful of what food colouring agent you use as some will stain light colour duco. But that is a good method.

AqaumarineVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
mine was leaking at the rear 1/4 window(crappy foam seal on them),used a bead of windscreen sealant on them,and then had to replace the boot seal,2 weeks solid of rain here in Rocky,there was an inch of water in the boot.may check those cover when i get the chance...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To fix it properly the quarter window has to come out.

peter1

peter1
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2
thanks all replies really appreciated. As i didn't know not the food colouring could affect the duco colour