Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 00 Olympic Edition Ecotec Man Ute

DeBigge

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S Ute
Hi everyone
Just bought a pretty straight used 00 build VS Ute with Olympic edition badges.

Looking around for tech pointers to do a home service to iron out some issues.

It's running well underpower. Feels like its in limp mode less a CEL. .. and I want to get it firing proper.
I can swing a wrench no problem and have previously owned and done minor tunes of older comodores. Any pointers towards tech on this model would be well appreciated. If someone knows what's onboard this Ute and can tell me for starters if it's legit or just a badger would help me.

This is what's on the compliance plate:
Model: VS8VK80-A3B-7BB
Body: L580350
Trim: 25I
Paint: B176
Built: APR00
Eng: LG2
Trans: M35
Axel: GU4
Susp:STD
AC:C60

Thanks in Advance.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Compliance plate says V6 with manual trans.

Service wise I'd start with the basics (i.e. fluids and filters). I'd highly recommend cleaning the MAF and cleaning the throttle body. I'd get new plugs and leads and consider replacing the O2 sensors as well and throw in some fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank and then see how it goes. I only recommend genuine Bosch/Delphi O2 sensors, the cheapies from ebay seem to cause trouble to frequently.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The ignition systems on these are the weak point. In particular the crank angle sensor and the DFI module. Always go for genuine ac delco/Delphi.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn't call it a weak point, everything fails with age. Certainly the warmer climate in Aussie seems to play havoc with the CAS when they get older but it's not such a common problem here in NZ with a slightly more tempered climate as far as I aware anyway.

DeBigge

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S Ute
Thanks heaps fellas.
Looks like I've got my weekend task list sorted.
I'm in the Goldfields WA. .. Fuggin hot and dry so its sounding like sick sensors at the gut level. Thanks again for the heads up.

DeBigge

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S Ute
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Compliance plate says V6 with manual trans.

Service wise I'd start with the basics (i.e. fluids and filters). I'd highly recommend cleaning the MAF and cleaning the throttle body. I'd get new plugs and leads and consider replacing the O2 sensors as well and throw in some fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank and then see how it goes. I only recommend genuine Bosch/Delphi O2 sensors, the cheapies from ebay seem to cause trouble to frequently.
Cheers mate! So its just a stock Ute then?

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
CAS generally either works or it doesn't 99% of the time when it plays up the engine will die once the sensor gets hot.

DeBigge

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S Ute
It's running a touch rough. To the layperson it sounds fine. .. but step on the gas and it feels like timings severly retarding.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Only problems I've really ever had with ecotecs were to do with the ignition system - not that they really have many issues at all, ignition failures seem to be the most common fault when something does go wrong. I had a bad cas and it felt exactly like it was in limp mode all the time - that was a cheap aftermarket one. Replaced it with a Delphi one and it'd been good for a couple of years until I sold it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't speak for cheap replicas but I've not had to may issues. I had a non genuine coil fail once and kill a dfi but that's about it. I find you need to keep on top of plugs and leads, good quality leads.

I bought a genuine CAS a decade ago now and it's sat in the garage ever since :)