Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 1995 bonnet opening issue... not a car smart person

wowmel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS 1995
Hi There, I got a 1995 vs Commodore a few months back, its awesome,
there is something up with the bonnet cable, the bonnet opens, but someone has to pull the lever while another person pushes on the front centre of the bonnet.

I mentioned this to me friend who also has a commodore, and she said that its either the cable is too tight or too loose, but wasn't too sure..

Please talk in not mechanic language as I'm a 20 year old girl that doesn't know much about cars, if you wanted me to change a fuse, i could do that, or put coolant in the car... done, but mechanical stuff no idea.

is there an easy way to work it out and fix it, or am i best going to a car place.

Thanks!!
Mel

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
Hello Me.
Try this.....reach in the door & pull the release cable.....slap down on the corner of the bonnet with your free hand [use your palm with an open hand, not a fist] .......tada! Bonnet pops.

I had a VL with the same issues....& a torana.......& a VN.....lol

If you open the bonnet, 'crack' the 4 bolts holding the bonnet to the hinge, then close the bonnet, next time you open the bonnet [when you check the water next] nip the bolts back up. It should cure the problem.
Dont loosten the bolts, just 'crack' them. The virbation from driving around will 'centre' the bonnet & you wont have anymore issues.
Well.....it works for me!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
An easy method (once you open the bonnet as above) is to loosen the single bonnet lock pin as per the pix/link - just undo it one turn.

Attachments

• 71950d1254716639t-little-help-please-d-bonnetspring.jpg
    71950d1254716639t-little-help-please-d-bonnetspring.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,608

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Another thing that happens is the clip that holds the bonnet shut bends where the cable attaches and it doesn't pull back far enough to release the pin.

You will need two screw drivers, one to hold the clip in towards the edge of the hole, and the other to bend the end of the clip where the cable attaches. You have to bend it away from the direction of the way the cable pulls it. So bend it towards the passenger side.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
An easy method (once you open the bonnet as above) is to loosen the single bonnet lock pin as per the pix/link - just undo it one turn.

That picture you have contributated is what levels the bonnet with the guards.
It doesnt have much to do with the level or anything...
I hadf this problem...
My mate said to lube the **** out of it...
Then it wouldnt close.
It may be the spring that holds the bonnet down.
It may be too far centre which stops it from opening correctly.
Try to peel back plastic thats under the radiator.
The plastic is closest to you.
Under there there should be the cable and a bit of the spring.
Hold the spring in place with a flat head screw driver then get another screw driver, put it in the hole where the spring holds the bonnet and try to bend it towards your left.

wowmel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS 1995
If you open the bonnet, 'crack' the 4 bolts holding the bonnet to the hinge, then close the bonnet, next time you open the bonnet [when you check the water next] nip the bolts back up. It should cure the problem.
Dont loosten the bolts, just 'crack' them. The virbation from driving around will 'centre' the bonnet & you wont have anymore issues.

Where would I find these bolts?? is it up near the top left corner (near the drivers door) do you have a photo at all??

The spring way seems a bit complicated for me.( thanks though). though if i had some photos of the sections it may make more sense, if not i'll have to get a mechanic to fix it!

Thanks for all you help!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)

defs give this a go i had the same problem turned it a little bit and it workd perfect now

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The cable can be adjusted too. With the bonnet open, lift the plastic cover strip between the radiator and the car body, and trace the cable back towards the driver's side of the car about 200-250mm. You will see a tiny metal clip that holds the bonnet cable to the car body. If you loosen the bolt that holds that clip in place, you can pull the cable away from the bonnet catch to take up any free play, then retighten the bolt to hold it.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Hello Me.
Try this.....reach in the door & pull the release cable.....slap down on the corner of the bonnet with your free hand [use your palm with an open hand, not a fist] .......tada! Bonnet pops.

amen :) I thought that was standard procedure for opening commodore bonnets?