Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 2 speed thermo test

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
Hi all, just a quick question for you?

I have a Vr ute which i have just put a ecotec in. I have used everything from the vs engine gearbox and all the wiring i even changed the thermo fan over cause of the different wiring plug. My question is in regards to the thermo i have read alot of threads on here and everyone has spoken about the fans and the switchs but i want to know how do i test the 2 speeds cause at the moment when the temp gets to about 3/4 the fan comes on at rather high speed so how do i get the first speed on and at what stage should it come on?

RMXR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 A5 & 1997 VS II A4
Disconnect the coolant temperature sender wiring (the one closest to the coil pack) and start the engine. After approx. 6 seconds, the fan should start at low speed, then after another 12 seconds, should increase to high speed.

This info is out of the Gregory's VS manual.

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
ok i did that and tha fan comes on like you said. but my temp gets up to 3/4 before the fans start to do anything i was told the fan should start at 1/2 temp?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Mine comes on at 3/4 but remember that no 2 temp gauges are the same. Also it should only come on at the low speed - the high speed comes on if you turn the A/C on....at least that's the way I understand it.
So maybe somehow the wiring is mixed up and when the CTS tells the ECU it's "fan time", the high speed is getting turned on instead of the low speed.
Did you do a 100% VS to VR wiring swap as the relay panels are probably different with separate hi/lo fan speed relays.

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
yeah i did a complete swap all the wiring and dash

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
one fan speed is controlled by the ecu the other by the bcm if i remember correct.low speed is bcm

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
ok thanks for that. got a strange question for anyone that may know how to fix a wiper problem. when car is stopped but engine running i can put wipers on 1st setting which is itermediate yet when i take off the wipers aren't doing intermediate anymore and are going as if i had them on the 2nd setting? Any ideas