Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 2000 ute (ex ambulance)

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
Thanks for the feedback.

The rear window came from a donor (wrecked) car, I didn't know it was an RM Williams sticker at the time, it may come off.

Attached are pics of my ride

* Lowered (with enough capacity down the back to take my loads)
* Stato woodgrain console.

Still a couple of holes left over from her ambulance days, but the replacement console took care of at least four others. It was really un-nerving cutting into my existing dash to accomodate the top section (sunglass holder area) of the new console but I got the effect I was after.

My red security light now flashes behind the dash somewhere, don't know where to mount / put it now.

Attachments

• 101_1605.jpg
    101_1605.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 2,274
  • 101_1608.jpg
    101_1608.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,848

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
good to see it all worked out man, get the rest of the stato dash :D

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
imo. paint the bottop half of the dash that light colour like the console

long_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
gotta say that stateman dash looks great ...been tinkering with doing the same to mine ...

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Thanks for the feedback.

My red security light now flashes behind the dash somewhere, don't know where to mount / put it now.

I see you have a spare slot where the demister switch would go on a sedan/wagon. The Berlina/Calais/Statesman had a security light that looked like a switch (due to those models having climate control) and slots into that hole in the dash surround. Why don't you buy the security switch and wire it up?

fxr00

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS
Hi everyone

I've just finished the young family and baby scene family car routine and decided its time to buy my first ute and live again!

I chose a LWB VS because I need to carry special other vehicles in the back.

My ride is an ex ambulance by Jakab - Tamworth. (much different from my old HJ Caprice - my last GMH). These are 600mm longer than the standard VS and extended in the area between the cab rear and the wheel arches.

I bought it with 89k on the speedo and with the ambulance pod still attached. I've been slowly bringing back to a decent ride, my ride.

Returning it from an ambulance to a ute included:

Disconnection of the A/C and electrics to pod
Purchase of 6 side panel covers and 2 fuel tank covers for the ute tub (removed to reduce weight apparently).
Purchase of rear window
Purchase of tail gate
Purchase of 2 bumperettes
Purchase of 4 tonneau rails (they remove these for fitting of the pod
Regass the A/C
Relocate the number plate lights back to their original position

And thats about the start.

Next is:
Suspension
Roll bar
Tub cover (hard or soft?)
Sound
Tint

The SS wheels helped a lot and the whole unit gets heaps of second looks.

Any hints, tips or comments most welcome.

Mate do you still have the ambo pod ? as i am after a few parts
Regards Rory

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
I see you have a spare slot where the demister switch would go on a sedan/wagon. The Berlina/Calais/Statesman had a security light that looked like a switch (due to those models having climate control) and slots into that hole in the dash surround. Why don't you buy the security switch and wire it up?

Good call, thanks, might just do that.

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
I have a decent size space underneath the hatch in the floor in the back of the ute. The petrol tank only takes up about 30% of the space.

I'm intending to hinge the oversize cover at the end near the cab and add two gas lift actuators (same as the bonnet).

End result will be I can easily lift the cover to access a "utility" area for general storage.

Has anyone been down this path before?

Cheers

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute

I was at the wreckers today picking up some things, remembered the Security Light idea, he had one, said just take it (no charge), installed it as suggested above, dream idea, worked a treat.

Thanks again.