Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 304 idle issues

Tigerboy1050

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
Ok, so before I burn my vs commy ute i am looking for a shining light from one of you experts.lol. I read so many threads here and learned so much so thanks all of you.
i recently re built my 304 engine with pretty much not anything too spooky, just 30 thou o/s bore, shave heads decked block new everything and a crane 276 cam, I had the memcal set up buy ACE performance tuning by sending to Sydney and he sent it back done(supposedly).
The engine has done over 1000 k's and is running well, but idle issues are driving me nuts.
It has new IAC + TPS, I re did the tps wiring, and the temp sensor wiring (brittle and damaged). I have checked and double checked for vacum leaks, I re torqued the inlet manifold bolts, put a new dizzy and HT leads in her as the hall effect sensor looked broken.
I have a mates Gscan tool and it's the bomb, it tells me everything about the engine when running or not, and all the voltage parameters and percentages are where they should be.
Voltage for TPS and MAP sensor are perfect, % for TPS also spot on.
Is my problem that I havent bridged out the ALDL when making these changes/upgrades. I have taken off battery lead, waited turned ignition on then off re placed terminal and idle perfect then just takes off to 1200rpm, worse when engine warms up.
any clues cos i'm getting sick of pulling TB off all the time.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah sounds like vacuum leak somewhere...had that too except I forgot to plug vacuum hose for heater controls & brake booster bit the dust.

Silicon spray or soapy water around hoses etc

Do any faults come up or engine light?

Mine had no codes,wasn't bad but idle sounded high...still does but tacho shows 800-900rpm in gear...stock stally probably not helping mine with small cam

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You only need to bridge pins five and six of the ALDL when you are setting the static timing (standard 10 degrees BTDC).

How tightly did you adjust your throttle cable? You need to have 10-15mm of play, otherwise you will have problems (refer diagram below):

upload_2019-8-19_19-7-29.png