Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 5.0 statesman welsh plug removal trouble

davo statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Hi am having a hard time getting a welsh plug to move am trying to remove the plug is original factory steel one have put hole in it plug is on drivers side next to engine mount on v8 vs have removed engine mount so far any help???

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just try to push it into the block if you can't get hold of it to pull it back out - it won't do any damage down there.

Tapping the new one in may be difficult with limited space but doable. Make sure you don't gouge the block itself when you're tapping the old plug in with a chisel.

To be honest, you should pull the engine out and replace all of the welch plugs - if one's rusted through, the others won't be too far behind. The ones at the rear of the engine can be a real pain and are a trans or engine out job anyway.

davo statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Thanks haven't done one for 20 years and never had this much trouble getting one out must be cause its steel will keep tapping away will get someone else to do the others ta

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I had a core plug drop into the head on a Falcon X flow and it got pushed through to the water pump and jammed it. Not the same as the block on a Holden V8 though.

I always tap one side and it will spin in the hole, then it's easy to lever out.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Just try to push it into the block if you can't get hold of it to pull it back out - it won't do any damage down there.

Tapping the new one in may be difficult with limited space but doable. Make sure you don't gouge the block itself when you're tapping the old plug in with a chisel.

To be honest, you should pull the engine out and replace all of the welch plugs - if one's rusted through, the others won't be too far behind. The ones at the rear of the engine can be a real pain and are a trans or engine out job anyway.
Funny enough, the one which has gone is the one which seems to go on most of the 304's.
Not abba has it right, tap one side then lever or locking pliers on the other side, but definately remove it.
Try to find a piece of steel pipe or a large socket on an extension bar for tapping in/refitting the new one, and use a flyshit of gasket goo preferably locktite number 3.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
As above, tap on one side to 'spin' the plug and remove with vice grips.
Clean the sealing surface with fine Emery paper and add a quick smear of sealant. I have used loctite flange sealer.
Put the new welsh plug in the freezer for an hour or 2 and it will go in a bit easier.
Use a large socket or pipe to aid installation.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Pro tip. Don’t use a socket the same size as the plug to install it. Use one slightly smaller so that it distorts a little as you’re tapping it in.

Of course try to remove it - as I mentioned in my post it’s fine to leave the old plug in there IF you can’t get it to spin to pull it out. It won’t do any harm if you push it in though

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
Did my driver's side ones last weekend. Others were fine. Removed d/side mount, unbolted manifold and was able to access from underneath. Used a special tool which looked like a small steel disc (welsh plug size) with an offset rod about 30cm long to bash new plugs in.