Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5.0L engine mods help

darky82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1 5.7L
Im in the process of rebuilding my 304 with .040 flat tops, head work with bigger valves and 532 cam, will have 10:1 comp, question is will my stage 4 memcal and AFR take care of exrta fuel needed

darky82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1 5.7L
so i will need an injector upgrade i can get 220cc ones

What size are std

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Lol 220cc is about what you got now perhaps smaller

You'll prolly get away 300cc or so injectors and its going to need a re-tune no matter what

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Go visit a reputable tuner with your exact engine/transmission specs + final drive and get it done properly. Your combo doesn't sound like it's suitable for an "off the shelf" special type tune.

Reaper

darky82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1 5.7L
Ok cool cheers man, guess the std pump needs relacing to, is there a higher psi replacment pump at all

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
standard pump should be fine maybe a higher flow pump like an intank 040 bosch or walbro is worth investing in. You dont need more pressure just more flow

darky82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1 5.7L
Ok, i might see how it goes with a std pump, also why wont the memcal level things out after changing injectors, is this bacause on a rise in manifold VAC to the map sensor throwing thing out

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Theres no such thing as stages anyone who sells that sort of thing its a gimmick to sell things to people who dont know any better and when it comes to tunes off ebay pr the like you'll find most of themare waste of money and petrol and probably wont give you anymore power.

Memcals is what holds the tune for engine. Any mods such as a cam, injectors or raised compression require a retune to maximise the performance from the upgrade. Aproper tune will be done on a dyno using kalmaker or such then a new memcal is burned and installed in ecu when tune is finalised

For example if you put in bigger injectors without a retune, the ECU assume theyre still stock and will treat them as such but in reality your actually putting more fuel in when its not needed so your wasting petrol

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Dyno tune is without a doubt the best way to go. If you need a tune to get you running and use as a baseline to tune from you should talk to "nicefrog" on ebay...was known as greenfoam on this forum once upon a time and does the best "Tell me what your mods are and I'll write up something close" eproms for the delco that you are likely to find. Usually under $100 too.
I'm not saying get a chip from him and leave it at that but for 100 bucks one of his tunes is a good place to start.