Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 5 litre statesman oil pressure problem

Almatty04

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 series III stato 5 litre
Hey everyone, new to the site and I know that this issue probably has been covered before but it really has me stumped.... The oil pressure light came on in my 5 litre the other day and started sounding like a diesel. I immediately switched her off, checked oil, all good, as every other post about this says. Started it back up and noise and light gone. The noise came back again so I freaked out and when I got it home I started reading up about the issue. Motor is 300000 old but sounds healthy as (with the exception of lifters when hot), I've only had the car for 4 months and haven't had an issue until now. I'm mechanically minded so after reading that the pickup could be blocked, I immediately pulled off the sump and cleaned, to my surprise it wasn't chocker blocked but good to know it's done now. Sourced another oil pump and changed that as well. Noise went away for two bloody days and has come back, Ive nicknamed the car Bruce Jenner cause it don't know if it wants to be a bitch or a man lol. Anyway, I thought, **** I didn't check gasket to oil pick up so I took sump off.... Again... Replaced the gasket and threw in an o ring as well to make sure there is no air leak, changed sump gasket because that **** the tin, checked oil pump again and the input shaft broke off in the block! Got that out, marked the gears inside the oil pump and whacked them inside my old housing which was fine. Spring is fine, etc, etc. using hpr20 but will change to hpr30 since I've read a lot of you use this. After doing the hard yards for the second time, there was a lot of build inside sump so in a way, I'm glad I pulled it off again, no metal shavings though, phew. Now it sounds sweet on startup but when you rev the car it has a whirring sound and oil light flickers again.. Driving it around is fine unless you sink the boot into it, then it has that dreaded light again. After putting foot down the light flickers and you can make it go on and off with the revs. Not the sender because when I came home tonight, the f##kng thing had the lifter tick again, not as bad as before though.
What would make the engine whine like this and produce low pressure?
Cam bearings/lobes worn?
Timing out?
I noticed the timing chain had a fair bit of play when I took off the oil pump (10mm either way) Could it be this causing pressure issues? How much play should the chain have?
Checked bottom end bearings and they are all fine.
Had rocker covers off and lifters are all dancing in sink, how much play (if any) should lifters have?
The noise it makes when you rev it sounds like a dry bearing and if you hold the revs at 2500rpm you can start to hear the lifter noise.
It's really got me stumped and I know it's gotta be something simple, could I have done the oil pump housing bolts up too tight?
I'm ready to burn it now, very frustrated. Have a baby on the way any day now so am really needing the issue fixed assets to have a reliable car to get to the hospital
Any advice is greatly appreciated guys. Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have you checked the oil pressure relief valve for sticking......also are you using the correct oil filter?

Good Luck.

Almatty04

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 series III stato 5 litre
Yeh mate, checked the valve and lubed it up with some oil when I replaced it. Didn't seem to be sticking but is there another way to check it? I'm using a ryco platinum z160 filter, is this the right one? It had a z160 on it when I bought it, so I stuck with the devil that's known lol. Can you use a bigger filter? Just want to know for own piece of mind and is there any benefits of using a bigger one?
Pulled the rocker covers off and my god, the sticky build up in there is astonishing lol, previous owner obviously lied when he said serviced regularly lol. Noise is not there on startup, or granny driving. Once you boot it light comes on, foot off, light off. Then lifter noise starts, not as bad as before I did what I've done to it. Seems to be drivers side. If a lifter collapsed, the noise would be there all the time or nah?
cheers for replying. Any help right now is better then none at all lol.