Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 5 litre wont start

matt_in_a_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5 litre berlina
Hi guys, new here hoping someone can help
Ok it started monday iv started the car (vs 5 litre dual fuel) to go to work and noticed the tacho jumping up to between 3 and 4 thou while idling, it seemed to run ok on the way to work so i thought it cant have been anything real bad. After work got in started it and no tacho jumping so i thought it was alright.. A few minutes down the road it cut out and hasnt started since.
What iv discovered is theres no spark from coil, power to coil is fine, it doesnt pulsate when cranking though and neither do the injectors. Tonight i noticed when i turn the key on the lights on the gas gauge cut out like they lose power after 5ish seconds
My car before the vs was a torana thats got about 5 wires in the engine bay :p but the vs is like looking through a dick smith catalogue.. Iv no idea what im looking for and any help would be great..

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Your coil has failed and needs to be replaced - coil is an input to the tachometer. Plenty of new Bosch ignition coils for sale on eBay for around $75 delivered - although one enterprising ("ripoff") supplier is trying to sell some for $290 - although to be fair to do get free delivery LOL.

matt_in_a_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5 litre berlina
Oops forgot to mention i tried the coil off my torana and still got no spark

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
It's possible it could be the Ignition Module....
ign_mod.jpg

First thing would be to check the wiring plug connector to the Ignition Module. They are common to come loose and may need a clean.
If you have a mate with same V8...then swap it over and check if it continues. It's a $200 part and non-returnable if opened from the box so swapping a mates module will confirm it is the problem at fault.

If the module and coil is not at fault, Then I suggest you get your Hall Effect Sensor replaced which is inside the Distributor. You can either remove dizzy and overhaul it or simply get another dizzy and fit that one.
You can remove the dizzy without removing the Inlet Manifold. Personally I would overhaul it as I did it myself and put it back together and it wasn't that hard.

Check your Dizzy cap and rotor button and replace if needed.

matt_in_a_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5 litre berlina
I have read previous posts on here about similar issues and figured it would either be the ign module or the hall effect sensor.. Tonight after work i put the commodore coil on the torana and it made spark so that rules the coil out as being faulty, i know the hall effect is cheaper than a new ign module tho with the position of the dizzy it looks like a bitch of a job.. Is there any way of testing the ign module without swapping it ( only mates with v8s are 5.7s) , i had considered calling a mobile mechanic and getting them to look at it and see if they can tell me what it is but i thought if i canget the ign module tested and it was cheaper than mobile mechanic id do that first, if it can be tested who would i take it to auto elec or mechanic?

matt_in_a_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5 litre berlina
Swapped the hall sensor today, still no spark so should i assume its the ignition module?? would a faulty ignition module affect the power to the gas gauge lights
I noticed todsy that if i run my test light from the negative on the coil to an earth the thermo fan starts up and a black valve type thing in a rubber hose connecting the gas converter and mixer starts pulsating and the gas gauge lights stay on

Does this give any hints as to what it could be?

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
The modules failing on these cars is as common as your neighbor having a Commodore or Ford parked in their driveway. But that doesn't suggest you go running and purchase a new module. There is a test procedure to check out these modules but it's too long and complex to describe on this forum. One thing though, before you get too technical, make sure the black wire (from memory) running into the module, has a good clean contact. This is a known problem and can develop a poor connection over time. If you can get your hands on a borrowed unit, that's your best approach. If you have more money than you know what to do with, go buy a new module. If it doesn't fix your problem, no great loss, you'll ended up needing the module some time down the track for sure.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
So was removing the dizzy real easy for you?
Have you actually done an Error Code check? Check my signature for Instructions on how and all you need is a paper clip.

With the Ignition Coil...
You should have this similar type fitted to the 304's
Auto_Ignition_Coil_For_MAZDA_G601_18.jpg

and not this type
Wet_Ignition_Coil_for_Lucas_Type.jpg

I'm not sure about the LPG systems.... I can't get my head around them.
But still do the error code check because that may pinpoint the problem.

matt_in_a_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5 litre berlina
Yeah done the error code check monday night got 12 3 times, getting the dizzy ready to come out wasnt that hard actially getting it out of the block took some swearing, and yep thats the sort of coil thats on it and the same is on torana except torry one is orange
I dont know if i should go spend another 200 on the ign module or just het a mobile mechanic to come n.diagnose it, i wasnt happy spending 90 on the hall effect and it not fixing it so if i spend 200 on ign module and it doesnt fix it i might burn the car haha