Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 5L losing power

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
Here's the story, car was running fine other then a new voltage regulator last week. Today while hot I lost a power and stalled, all symptoms looked like vapour lock but I understand vapour lock is rear in efi engines. The engine and oil light came on and the fuel pump sounded stuttery when I tried starting it. It would start but then quickly lost power and stalled. Once it cooled it started fine and fuel pump sounded normal but 15 km later it happened again. I was taking it easy and the temp was still low. Fuel pump maybe, got me stuffed.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did you disconnect the battery before you replaced the voltage regulator? If you didn't, did you have any short circuits while you were replacing the voltage regulator?

All other things being equal, the symptoms you describe are sometimes caused by the Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor failing when hot. Possibly it has been damaged during the process of installing the new voltage regulator and/or the voltage regulator itself is damaged.

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
2 things about the voltage regulator, I replaced to bushes using ones from a mistake ordered the part and the correct regulator is hard to get and I did disconnect the battery but when I reconnected it there was a a hum near the regulator for a second, I think the ignition may have been on.

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
2 things about the voltage regulator, I replaced to bushes using ones from a mistake ordered the part and the correct regulator is hard to get and I did disconnect the battery but when I reconnected it there was a a hum near the regulator for a second, I think the ignition may have been on.

Sorry my post is written badly. I mean to say I ordered the wrong regulator and soldered the bushes in the old one. The battery tests 14v so it's working

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
Did paperclip test, just the usual 12 and 31. Would the hall effect sensor give me a code?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Would the hall effect sensor give me a code?

Maybe...maybe not. If it does throw a code, it is likely to be 46 - no reference signal while cranking.

It could also be the ignition module. Do you know anyone else with a 5 litre that you could borrow their module ?

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
Maybe...maybe not. If it does throw a code, it is likely to be 46 - no reference signal while cranking.

It could also be the ignition module. Do you know anyone else with a 5 litre that you could borrow their module ?
Not really, I live in the bush. I'm still thinking maybe fuel pump cuz it makes a funny noise when problem is happening ( maybe it's just wishful thinking cos a fuel pump is a reasonably cheap fix DIY). Any other tests you know of to narrow it down?

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
Bit the bullet went to my mechanic and he reckons the key is the problem! Has anyone heard of a car losing power and stalling due to the key losing contact with the immobiliser?