Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 5l ute, new everything and battery still goes flat

Zachery Costello

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais commodore 3.6l
Hi needing help. Have a vs 5l ute. It's a weekend car but after sitting for a week the battery is dead. It's got a brand new starter, brand new alternator, brand new battery, and yet still if I leave it for a week it won't start. When it's running it sits at a healthy 14 volts at the battery, I've even left the voltage drop meter connected over night and it drop the best part of bugger all I'm talking like .3 of a volt for E.G. has similar happened to anyone else?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you have an battery leakage from somewhere. Sometimes from a light globe that doesn't turn off when the ignition is off, such as boot light, glovebox light etc. Can also be caused by corroded connectors and a corroded backup battery if you have an aftermarket security system. There have been a number of posts on this subject over the years.

Zachery Costello

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais commodore 3.6l
Yeah I'm leaning towards something is staying on while the car sits I just can't think of what. I've sat there and watched all lights go out once the car goes to sleep after locking in. Even the little green light under ignition barrel. I haven't checked the grove box one I shall pull that light and see how we go. There isn't much it could be when I think about it as it has no after market stereo setup, no sub or amp, no power windows, no aftermarket security system. Battery terminals are spotless and make good contact.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
I had similar, turned out to be glove box light contact = drained bat slowly in over a week and monthly use of car = no crank.
Also in winter when not using for weeks I didnt arm the factory alarm-imobiliser, just lock, less drain when battery not charging.

Zachery Costello

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais commodore 3.6l
Yeah so I'll give the grove box light a crack and see how we go. How did you find out it was the glove box one? Pulled the bulb then it stopped draining? Or you open the glove box and push the switch and see if it turnt off? Ect. I'm thinking I'll just pull the bulb and see if it still drains throughout the week.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You need to get a multimeter and probe all the fuses for current draw while the car is off to find out what's draining power. At least you'll be able to identify the circuit at a minimum and have a direction to go. You'll replace the whole car blindly throwing stuff at it before you find out what it is. Heaps of good videos on Youtube about how to do it and what to look for.

Aftermarket head units and immobilisers are common ones too.

Last edited:

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Alarms and aftermarket stereo's are notorious for causing drainage dramas. If it's just a weekender get yourself a trickle charger, C-Tek are good, many others out there to choose from. Battery isolator switch if all else fails.

Lol _R_J_K_ beat me to it

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
saw a tiny glow-shadow when parked at night, lever was not catching, crooked glove box lid didnt turn light out.
You can also do a current draw test on connections when ignition is of, also probe the relays in the engine bay box

Zachery Costello

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais commodore 3.6l
Cheers fellas I'll give all suggestions a crack its frustrating me as I've checked a bucket load of things now and being a mechanic myself I'll feel extremely frustrated if it turns out to be a simple bulb . Like I stated though the car is bone stock. still has the original stereo in it. nothing electrical wise has been touched since leaving the show room floor. I'll recheck all the fuses and bulbs again. Cheers again fellas .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As RJK suggested...Multimetre to check for current draw.....Search youtube and you'll find out how to check for it...

My VY had a current draw...It took 2 to 3 days for a fully charged battery to go flat....1/2 hour with a multimetre and found the cause....Mine turned out to be the factory stereo unit....Pulled the fuse, voila, problem temporarily fixed....The proper fix was I replaced the stereo...