Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5L V8 starting issues

Daz111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SLR5000
I own 2 VS 5L V8’s, a Berlina wagon & an SLR5000.

The following is a case history and not intended to be mechanical advice other than to perhaps help people who may experience starting problems with these engine models.

The causes for the various starting problems I have had include:

1. Flat battery due to worn brushes on RE60 regulator, replace regulator or brushes, jump start car and take for a 10km drive to charge battery. Replacement regulator cost me around $65.00 from Autobarn, new brushes if you can be bothered cost $10.00 or less. This has happened to both cars. Disconnect negative battery terminal before changing regulator.

2. Faulty electronic ignition module, can be intermittent then become permanent, replace module. Research has shown that replacement cost can vary from around $150.00 secondhand to around $700.00 for GMH replacement part. This has also happened to both cars.

3. Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor), there is an article on how to replace this somewhere in JC forums as this is how I found out about it in the first place. Part is worth about $15.00 from Preston Motors and with the correct tools takes about 1 hour to do the job. You will save a lot of time & frustration if you have a 19mm “deep” socket and 19mm open end/ring spanner.

4. Starter motor wouldn’t turn over, main earth lead from battery to engine had somehow worked a little loose at engine end, took off, cleaned up & replaced securely, end of problem.

5. Faulty fuel pump, local mechanical shop supplied genuine part, drained fuel tank, removed & replaced fuel pump, refueled tank for $170.00. Preston motors had quoted me $145.00 just to supply the pump, why would I bother doing it myself at my mechanics price?

6. Only a couple of months after replacing the electronic ignition module in the Berlina the hall effect module in the distributor went faulty. This is a bigger problem as there is no easy way to get to the dizzy. Changeover dizzy in my case worked out about same as taking dizzy apart and supplying & fitting new hall effect module, if you want to do it yourself you could, sourcing a new hall effect module might be the hard part. Would appreciate feedback on where I might be able to get these and at what price if required in future.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Wow mate not good,,,,,send brettjjj a message ,hes pretty switched on and may be able to help you
i own 2 vs 5l v8’s, a berlina wagon & an slr5000.

The following is a case history and not intended to be mechanical advice other than to perhaps help people who may experience starting problems with these engine models.

The causes for the various starting problems i have had include:

1. Flat battery due to worn brushes on re60 regulator, replace regulator or brushes, jump start car and take for a 10km drive to charge battery. Replacement regulator cost me around $65.00 from autobarn, new brushes if you can be bothered cost $10.00 or less. This has happened to both cars. Disconnect negative battery terminal before changing regulator.

2. Faulty electronic ignition module, can be intermittent then become permanent, replace module. Research has shown that replacement cost can vary from around $150.00 secondhand to around $700.00 for gmh replacement part. This has also happened to both cars.

3. Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor (ect sensor), there is an article on how to replace this somewhere in jc forums as this is how i found out about it in the first place. Part is worth about $15.00 from preston motors and with the correct tools takes about 1 hour to do the job. You will save a lot of time & frustration if you have a 19mm “deep” socket and 19mm open end/ring spanner.

4. Starter motor wouldn’t turn over, main earth lead from battery to engine had somehow worked a little loose at engine end, took off, cleaned up & replaced securely, end of problem.

5. Faulty fuel pump, local mechanical shop supplied genuine part, drained fuel tank, removed & replaced fuel pump, refueled tank for $170.00. Preston motors had quoted me $145.00 just to supply the pump, why would i bother doing it myself at my mechanics price?

6. Only a couple of months after replacing the electronic ignition module in the berlina the hall effect module in the distributor went faulty. This is a bigger problem as there is no easy way to get to the dizzy. Changeover dizzy in my case worked out about same as taking dizzy apart and supplying & fitting new hall effect module, if you want to do it yourself you could, sourcing a new hall effect module might be the hard part. Would appreciate feedback on where i might be able to get these and at what price if required in future.

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
daz111 thanks for posting this information up, helped alot.

tested/ swapped all of these items except the ECT.
changed the coil and itd started first go.