Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5LTR into VZ v6 one tonne

Gutsy22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5ltr v8 Statesman
hey guys,
so ive just purchased off my brother in-law a vs statesman 5ltr sedan (the body is trashed) and i want to slap the 5ltr into the 2006 vz v6 one tonne Ute as the v6 motor is basically about to let go in the ute and the 5ltr trans and motor are healthy i was just wondering is it even possible? i have a full donor car at my disposal i am aware id have to change the diff, fuel lines, pump, brakes etc etc but what type of diff would best suit? am i gonna have to swap out the k frame still or will it drop on to the v6 frame as it is a smaller v8??

Gutsy22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5ltr v8 Statesman
would it just be a hell of a lot easier to swap the 5ltr for an ls1? just out of curiosity why wouldn't it pass a cert?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
would it just be a hell of a lot easier to swap the 5ltr for an ls1? just out of curiosity why wouldn't it pass a cert?
You can’t put an older engine in a newer car as the car has to comply with the VZ emissions standards. Your best option is to sell the iron lion and buy an LS. Looks like the Holden 5 litres are worth about $2000-2500 odd.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Very little if anything interchanges between vs v8 & vz v6...better off selling it then using funds for vz ls1 conversion or replacement v6.

You really want to use same model car to sap parts..makes life simpler.

Got a cousin up that way who would probably interested in vs v8 driveline or statesman donor if interested in selling.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
would it just be a hell of a lot easier to swap the 5ltr for an ls1?
Not really. For the amount of gear you need to swap they might as well be two different cars, even with the LS1. Realistically it's really only worth doing with a complete donor. Detailed conversion thread is here: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/eyys-vy-calais-ls1.272746/

Just to add to that, none of the VS/5L stuff will swap directly into a VZ. None of the looms or electronics will interface, the VS and VZ are different widths so the 5L k-frame won't fit, tail shaft won't fit, exhaust won't fit, blah blah blah.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can put a new engine in an old car abut not an old engine into a newer car. (Sort of)
As above. Take the advice. It’s solid.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
better off looking for another statesman or any vs sedan ute wagon to chuck in the 5ltre it be legal cheaper and easier