Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs 5ltr with weird engine number

4D_SUx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx senator 300
Just a brought a nice vs ute, 5ltr and their are some weird engine numbers onit. It starts with the letter S and with a number at the end. Speaking to every1 I know, they haven't got a clue, most start with VU I think.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Honestly there's a lot of machining the engine number off at reconditioning time and simply stamping a new number on of one's choice on happening out there.

This is being done with many engines that are potentially recorded stolen at some point in time and the re-conditioners playing it safe to keep their backsides out of the legal system. Yes this is highly illegal but that's what's happening.

If someone's got a better idea I'd love to hear it regarding the S number.

Actually a good photo of the number on the block would clarify it for you I feel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
IIC you should be able to tell if its the factory stamp by looking at the stamping. Factory should have a dotty number, where as a non-factory one will have solid lines in the letters and numbers.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Losh, not sure if that was just the V6 engines that got that treatment, but either way a photo of the number in question would surely give someone here a much better idea as to what's happening in this instance.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Svu is a VQ statesman/caprice prefix if that’s what you’re asking. Just a normal non stroker Clearanced 304

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
well that adds more interest to this story doesn't it ? Again a good photo of the numbered area would be a great help, otherwise we are all just trying to shoot rats in a barrel.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Three more prefix

SU and SM are replacement motors.

SVM and the SVU that eyy listed are factory.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
IIC you should be able to tell if its the factory stamp by looking at the stamping. Factory should have a dotty number, where as a non-factory one will have solid lines in the letters and numbers.
That's just a v6 thing. The 8's have solid figures, but its quite easy to tell if they've been restamped.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's just a v6 thing. The 8's have solid figures,

Yep that's pretty much what I was of the understanding. Thanks for the clarification of that.

Must admit I think we're all a bit disappointed that the OP hasn't chimed in during this thread to add to more info.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
VU - VN to VS 304 (except VSIII ute and Statesman with 179kW engine)

VM - VT 179kW plus VSIII ute and Statesman 179kW. Also VSIII ute and Statesman with HBD 195kW engine