Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS a/c compressor bearings

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I was asked to fix a faulty / noisy power steering pump but on closer inspection it looks to be from the front of the compressor pulley.

The a/c is gassed and works fine but vibrates when engaged.
How far can the bearings be replaced without de-gassing and then R/R the entire compressor for a full service.

Or is it possible to remove the extra idler pulley and install a new NON A/C belt, bypassing the compressor for a later day, perhaps when another exchange compressor is at hand ?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm pretty sure you can only replace the double row bearing in the clutch - the front comp bearing has seals and usually the seals leak the oil out thru the front bearing then no oil results in bearing failure although I suppose the bearing could fail and once it's shagged it ruins the seal and the gas escapes. Does it have the usual oil leak?
If it vibrates when engaged maybe it's under or over gassed as this will cause a vibration or the mount is loose (long shots!)
I know you can buy non- A/c serpentine belts but I've never seen one...
Hope it turns out OK.