Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Acclaim ABS off light coming on and off, chugging at the same time

Wooly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Acclaim V6
Afternoon folks, VS Acclaim "ABS off" light coming on and off, chugging at the same time. I bought it unseen for parts but i'm considering putting it back on the road. It came with a dead battery so i'm wondering if that is playing a part. It seems to chug intermittently on the drive home but was improving at the end of a 50k trip. Just after some advice on bypassing abs (temporarily) and other parts as a way of determining the cause. Or if it is a known issue, regards in advance. First time poster, Wooly.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
What do you mean "chugging"? If its IRS I would check the cv shafts making sure they're slid in the entire way (often when jacked up etc they can pull out slightly setting the abs off and engaging fuel cuts)

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Is it like fuel related chugging , miss firing, what are the conditions of this chugging? Heavy throttle, light, moving not moving etc etc

Wooly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Acclaim V6
Thanks for replying Bowen. It is indeed IRS and that is new to me so I'll investigate them first. The (chugging) does appear to be fuel cuts.

Wooly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Acclaim V6
Only chugs while going along. Doesn't happen at idle or in drive idle. Happens at various speeds but seems to stop when I put my foot down. It seems to happen more at a constant speed. Hope I'm making sense here. regards.

Wooly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Acclaim V6
I've since disconnected the abs module and the chugging issue has stopped. Now I need to establish if the IRS has anything to do with it or it's a connection issue or if an abs replacement is needed. Any help on this process would be appreciated, Cheers for the help so far.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So definately abs at fault so now the process of elimination I would definately start by jacking the back of the car up or even just stick your head under there and where the speed sensors are for the cv shafts (the cog / gear looking part of the shafts on the diff end of the shaft) there should be the inducer sensor directly in line with them positioned above it in a direct straight line if it looks sort of off center then I would jack the car up and belt the shaft towards the diff, do u have a scan tool etc to check codes? Or just use a paper clip.... Failing that it could be the brake pedal being pushed too far to the floor during bleeding brakes recently if that's happened recently? Or a vacuum leak perhaps? Might not be a bad idea to check the vac lines while engine running wet your hand and run them over the lines use your ear aswell ;) let us know buddy

Wooly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Acclaim V6
Hi Bowen, Firstly I unplugged the ABS module and went down the street and back. The issue stopped. I noticed the terminals were a bit chalky white so with wire wool I cleaned them up. I plugged and unplugged the ABS electrics several times to scratch up on the female side and went for a drive and bingo! It appears to have been a faulty connection at the ABS unit. I have noted your other recommendations should the problem return. Cheers heaps for spending some time on this. Much appreciated. :D