Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs acclaim battery/alternator issues

VsAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS acclaim series 2
Hey all.

Having dramas with my VS

The other night, I started my car and it struggled a little but kept running and all was well, just assumed i had maybe left a light on or something. Drove 10 minutes with my lights/headunit on etc

Two hours later went to start again, car started and struggled, got 100m up the road, ABS light, airbag light, engine light came on, headunit dies, car stalls and I’m stranded.

Popped the bonnet and the battery terminal was loose and 11.6V, assumed that’s why battery wasn’t charging, charged the battery, changed the cable clamps and off I went. Charging around 14V

Car was fine no dramas for a few drives

Fast forward about a week, and this
morning car struggled to start a little again(uh oh here we go again) on the highway, lights all come on again and car stalls! Terminals tight.

Is there any other common problems with these cars that cause battery drain/ alternator charging issues? Alternator looks fairly new so I’m not sure.

Help is appreciated!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Get your battery load tested it may be on its way out. The other problem can be brushes in the alt.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Other than getting the battery checked, also check the cable from the alternator to the battery - they have a habit of cooking themselves at the back of the alternator. Often the cable will be buggered and need replacement but sometimes a good cleanup can be enough.