Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS acclaim POWER STEERING ISSUE

offthechain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Howdi, Im new here....
My VS is confusing the hell out of me...I park it at night and in the morning there is a mark of power steering fluid on the drive way(this is 100% flat) and the mark is aobut the size of a VS holden badge, maybe a bit smaller. Yet, the powersteering reservoir never seems to go down. I did check the hoses today and one was real loose so I did it up and the other was a little loose at the pump but thats now tight...My thoughts: maybe the loose hoses seeped and leaked and maybe there is residual fluid and the ps is not actually leaking.
The other issue which may be linked is if I turn to the right the steering creaks a bit...but it sounds more like bushes and not the powersteering. Especially cos the ps works fine...any ideas or thoughts out there??? This has me stumped?? or could it be a new pump is needed??

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
could be overfull and leaking from the dipstick of the transmission, also it may look like the level hasn't dropped because its the trans leaking and not the power steering (same fluid).

:)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As above - plus a spot on the floor that size will not alter the PS fluid level that much...maybe a fraction of a mm. Remember that the fluid level varies considerable when hot or cold. Don't overtighten the clamps on the reservoir as you can damage the plastic.
The steering can creak due to a dry plastic bush where the steering column goes thru the bulkhead - it can be lubricated. Hope this helps.
Welcome to the forum also.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
With regard to the power steering problem, hako is correct. I have had leaks before that had me stumped, because it didn't appear that I was losing fluid. Turned out to be a loose hose.

Again, as hako said creaking steering is often due to the a rubber boot rubbing on the steering column. However, Iit can also be caused be perished stabiliser link pin bushes (as was my problem) - check these also.