Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Acclaim Problems

qldhighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hey Guys,

I have 2 questions about my VS. I have just put a VT engine in it and it runs really well. This forum was great for the Valley Cover/Inlet Manifold torque settings and a few other bits and pieces. But there are so many posts with keywords for 'speedo' and 'thermo fan' that I cant find what I am looking for so I thought I would just start a new topic just for me! Sorry if this duplicates.

Question 1: The Speedo
Is the speedo cabled or electronic?
Where should I start to look if it is not working?

Question 2: Thermo Fan
What are the main causes for a thermo fan not to work that does work when powered manually?
(Yes I checked the fuse!)
Where should I start in tracking this down?

Thanks again JC and Users!
qldhighway!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
worth checking the temp sensors on the engine which switch the fan on and off ... switch could be faulty or a loose connection to them

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
speedo is electronic

and thermo fan might be the coolant temp sensor, how high does your temp gauge get upto? cause the fan usually kicks in at about 3/4

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
1....does your speed alert thingo work?.....check the vehicle speed sensor at back of trans...make sure it's connected.
2....remove connector from coolant temp sensor (one with 2 cables), turn ign on and lo speed fan should come on in 10 secs or so and the hi fan after another 10 secs - this is a check that the ECU is switching the fans.

I'd buy a Gregorys manual...it will pay for itself very quickly.

qldhighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
1....does your speed alert thingo work?.....check the vehicle speed sensor at back of trans...make sure it's connected.

Not really, the speed alert thing seems kinda busted. I might need to track a new one down from the wreckers. Would this impact on the speedo not working?

I will check the sensor on the Tranny as soon as the rain goes away!

axemurderer101 said:
and thermo fan might be the coolant temp sensor, how high does your temp gauge get upto? cause the fan usually kicks in at about 3/4

The Temp Gauge gets to just over 1/2 (high as I have had it since the engine swap. Driving around it sits on 1/4. I thought 3/4 would be getting extremely hot!?

I will let it idle for a while and see what it gets too, again waiting on the rain!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The speed alert would use the same input as the speedo....which you said doesn't work, so a likely culprit for both will be the VSS - vehicle speed sensor.
3/4 on temp gauge is where the fan will turn on. Some Commo's turn on a bit earlier but not all, so it may well be OK.

qldhighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks Hako,

Your input has been muchly appreciated.!

I will test all of this soon and post the results.

qldhighway