Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Aircon Hissing

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hey guys havin a bit of an annoying issue with the VS

after the aircon has been on, when i turn the engine off there is a hissing sound for a few seconds. This also occurs occasionally when slowing down while driving.

I have looked around already on the forum but cant find the exact solution.. Do u rekon it needs a regas (after 15y without one) or is there like a loose hose?

It still blows cold air, but its not VERY cold...

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
It is like pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like air escaping. Happens every time i turn the engine off with the a/c button still pressed. i want to try to work out prob before i take it to a mechanic coz 1/2 of them are crooks and try to rip u off

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'ts probably just refrigerant expanding in the evaporator (!) after the engine is switched off - this is normal although not always audible...just sometimes. You can duplicate this with a refrigerator - when the frig compressor is running, switch the frig off at the wall then put your ear to the outside of the frig and you will hear the gurgling sound as residual refrigerant expands in the evaporator.

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
I once had a similar problem...

Ended up it was the vacum connections at the back of the vent selection dial (selects fresh, recycle, demist etc). Pop out the gear selector surround, unscrew the stereo/heater control surrond, unscrew the heater selection dial unit. A little bit of vasoline around the connection and made sure it was on securely, and end of hissing.