Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs auto onto vn ecu is this possible

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are you 100% on only two VR trans? One I pulled from the early 93 had a cable on it which went to near where the VB would sit, but it also had a big plug. Definitely VR as the PCM is VR auto PCM, but the engine didn't have a cam sensor and according to the engine number it's a 93 VR engine. I was told all VR's, except manual had a cam sensor, which is partly why I understood VR auto uses cam sensor inputs. But mine didn't even have a place in the harness for a cam sensor to plug into. Unless someone did a fair amount of work swapping things over on a bodgy old wagon that eventually sold to me for $150.

93 sounds like a VP.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
93 sounds like a VP.
Nope VR on the windscreen, engine number checked out as early VR, headlights, bonnet and bumper all early VR. Interior was all VR, PCM VR and even had central locking which I believe wasn't standard on VP Exec.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm fairly sure not all VR's had the cam sensor. Somewhere in the VR run they went to a split batch fire injection setup IIRC.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Izzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
Check connector on trans vr is 12 vs is 13 apparently...then you'll know what loom/ecu to use.

vs loom is different to vr BUT if it's for conversion you'll have to get vats off & rewire the whole thing anyway.

mix & matching is good way to bite yourself the arse...there are several differences between models which is why often better to wait for matching driveline if not clued up on the differences,
true
Or stop being gay and go T56.

but that's half the fun .you wont learn anything just swapping same for same ,that's just plane boring

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You'll find something just need patience to wait for complete eng/trans/ecu/loom setup or donor car to pop up.

If you plan to modify it stay away from vs series 3 or vt 5 litre setups....they're fine standard just pita to modify compared to earlier map based setups.

If do use your vn ecu/loom but find later model vr/s engine you'll need to swap out dissy or change plug to suit.

Izzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
You'll find something just need patience to wait for complete eng/trans/ecu/loom setup or donor car to pop up.

If you plan to modify it stay away from vs series 3 or vt 5 litre setups....they're fine standard just pita to modify compared to earlier map based setups.

If do use your vn ecu/loom but find later model vr/s engine you'll need to swap out dissy or change plug to suit.
good to know