Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs auto onto vn ecu is this possible

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can, but it's more work getting it all working.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH man it wil probably work out cheaper just getting an early trans.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So to summarize,

VN/VP ecu (808) only runs the engine, used T700r4 (4l60) hydraulic style or manual transmission.
VR/VS PCM (424) runs the engine and the transmission. i,e the 4l60e

Points to note.
VN/VP use a reluctor type speed sensor, VR/VS use hall effect sensor. At the end of the day this isn't the end of the world as the speed sensor is in the extension housing and I'm fairly sure these can be swapped over to suit.
There are 2 different transmissions used in the VR models. 12 pin (early VR) and 13pin (later VR onwards), the extra pin/wire in the loom is used for the PCM solenoid for the converter lockup. Again, not the end of the world but it would be easier to get the right wiring loom to match the transmission. VS were all 13 pin.

In an ideal world I would be looking for a VR/VS auto wiring loom and PCM. The alternate that has been suggested is a VN loom and stand alone controller for the 4l60e but it's not a cheap option and then there is the VN loom with the older 4l60 hydraulic style transmission option.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will need mafless tune for a start. You will require the matching harness for the trans.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You will need mafless tune for a start. You will require the matching harness for the trans.

Nope. Only the VT 304 uses a MAF. All VN to VS (except series III VS utes) are MAP based.

Izzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
So to summarize,

VN/VP ecu (808) only runs the engine, used T700r4 (4l60) hydraulic style or manual transmission.
VR/VS PCM (424) runs the engine and the transmission. i,e the 4l60e

Points to note.
VN/VP use a reluctor type speed sensor, VR/VS use hall effect sensor. At the end of the day this isn't the end of the world as the speed sensor is in the extension housing and I'm fairly sure these can be swapped over to suit.
There are 2 different transmissions used in the VR models. 12 pin (early VR) and 13pin (later VR onwards), the extra pin/wire in the loom is used for the PCM solenoid for the converter lockup. Again, not the end of the world but it would be easier to get the right wiring loom to match the transmission. VS were all 13 pin.

In an ideal world I would be looking for a VR/VS auto wiring loom and PCM. The alternate that has been suggested is a VN loom and stand alone controller for the 4l60e but it's not a cheap option and then there is the VN loom with the older 4l60 hydraulic style transmission option.
thanks i was thinking of going down the road of ecu (maybe it is a pcm im thinking of ) and harness that matched the box i have (not sure of pin number but a 4l60e ) .will probly then look at a dash to match the system used

Izzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
thanks for all the help
will more than likely be asking more ???? down the track when i get home from work next week and work out what i actually have
cheers