Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Auto Shift Kit

64now95

Gday guys,

I currently have VS auto ute with extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust and cold air intake with K & N filter. i have been told that the guy who owned the ute before me might have installed an auto shift kit as all the wiring is there as so on. Im jus wondering what exactly such a shift kit involves?

I was also wondering if anyone knew how much such a thing costs and where youd get them from? And whether there is any significant power delivery increase or whether its worth it?

cheers

64now95

yeah mate mines a 6... sounds like an 8 tho... haha

good to see another ute fan on the site... good to have a similar member to talk utes with!

64now95

jus another thing, i installed a hdt cold air intake suited to a v8 on my v6 ute and i havent noticed any difference, except from pictures of the v6 variety, which seems to be smaller mouthed. as for performance, its noticable but not by much and i spose it can only help the car ay

G

grover

not an auto expert,especially these electronic ones,but a shift,improver kit usually comes with a choice of stage 1 or stage 2{from memory}.basically i think it consists of different valve bodies that give you a much sharper gear change.i know that with a hot v8 with a stage 2 kit{a bit much for standard everyday driver}as it changes up to 2nd with a few revs on, the back tyres will chirp{sounds a bit like running over someones cat}.they kick in quite hard.just takes that laggy change out of your auto.

D

Dev1lman

grover a stock injected holden with a fresh stock auto will chirp into gear..
i know mine did when i got a new gearbox

64now95: did that cold air intake drop your running temp by much? (this is the genuine cold air intake right? not a 100mm holesaw striaght throught your airbox
with a bit of aggy pipe

G

grover

shows how much i've had to do with all this new gear.used to have to do a bit of work to them way back when.is that a 5litre or 5.7.got a 5litre vn calais in the backyard at the moment{not mine just a lender}.that has plenty of go but certainly doesnt chirp when you hoof into it.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I have a chip and sure, l've noticed an improvment in acceleration, but would a shift kit help me? I also have an auito vs except mines a sedan.

Anyone know of a price for these things?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE not an auto expert,especially these electronic ones,but a shift,improver kit usually comes with a choice of stage 1 or stage 2{from memory}.basically i think it consists of different valve bodies that give you a much sharper gear change.i know that with a hot v8 with a stage 2 kit{a bit much for standard everyday driver}as it changes up to 2nd with a few revs on, the back tyres will chirp{sounds a bit like running over someones cat}.they kick in quite hard.just takes that laggy change out of your auto.

I'm no expert but Grover is right on the money, on non electronic shift pattern boxes like the TH350/400/700 etc the shift is firmed up and sometimes even held via valve body modifications.

Electronic boxes like the 4L60-3 in your VS's I have no idea about, well that's not totally true but what I know is vague. I think they can be shifted kitted to some extent by placing resistors of certain values in certain wires between the ECU and trans, different resistors give you different amounts of line pressure in the auto, resulting in harder shifts and effectively fooling the computer/solinoid. If we can work out the correct ECU pinouts for the trans solinoid we could be one step closer to shift kitting your electronic auto's for next to nothing. About $20 as I'd hook it up to an override switch. If someone can build on this then please do.

Keep in mind that shift kitting in short is meant for heavy duty transmissions that can stay in one piece under high pressure and increased friction which creates heat. A nice big trans cooler is a must if your considering it.

You'll get a tiny bit more power to the ground, but on a very mild car is it really worth the extra pressure on the transmission?....that's what you have to ask.

In short for those questioning what a shift kit does- it produces a harder, more responsive shift, if you've ever ridden something like a RGV250 and shifted in powerband- a good shift kit will shift like that.

Hope that sheds a little light even if it is vague

Jake

G

Grantis1976

Devilman, dont be scared or bag what you dont know. Using a remote temp gauge and sender for a base line test, I found that the air temp in the airbox for VL was between 45 - 65 oC, I then made up a C.A.I. with powdercoated 3" exhust pipe, and its connected to the vent in bumper. Air temps are now down around 20 - 30 oC. It's all black, up out of sight, and works a treat !!!
Good Luck !!!