Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Auto Transmission Problem with Faults 22, 73, 76?

Rouwhorst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hi, my VS auto transmission started acting weird yesterday on a long drive home, first noticed the yellow drive train light flick on after clicking out of cruise control at 120km/h, then seemed OK for another hour on highway at speed until I had to stop at lights... car was idling higher than normal (1600rpm) I shifted to neutral and park and was still idling high, drive train light was intermittent now and usually flicking on when decelerating at lower speeds. When taking off from lights car would rev high and not want to drop into the next gear, when it did it would thump into gear badly, back up at speed things seemed normal. I'd heard of limp home mode and thought this must be it, so I limped home.
This morning it was still idling high, with fault light flicking on and very rough gear changes when taking off, then I stopped and turned off car for a bit to get something, when I got going again everything seemed normal, no high idling, smooth/normal gear shifts at the right time, so I took it for a bit of a test drive to see if the fault would come back, cant get it to break. I learnt how to read fault codes and got a 22 - Throttle Position Sensor voltage low, 73 - Pressure Control Solenoid Current (Auto's) and 76 - Air/Fuel ratio.

Has anyone seen these items or wiring cause a fault like this before? Or is the tranny about to die considering it has done 280k. Got it booked in for Monday at mechanic.

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
I'd start with the throttle position sensor. While I was reading your post I was thinking of it, then you mentioned the error code.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I agree. Replace the TPS. Around $50 to buy and quite easy to replace.

Attachments

• TPS V6.jpg
    TPS V6.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,736