Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Auto - wrong fluid

Fordguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a holden
Guy managed to top up the auto in his VS (leaky front seal but otherwise good) with none other than 75w-90 gear oil (or very similar). He reckons he put about a liter in before he realised it wasn't ATF. I'm dubious on the amount as he only had a 1L top up bottle in his hand and it wasn't empty.

Questions:
How bad is this? Are we talking 'not great, but no real harm' or 'remove and refill sooner rather than later' or 'completely flush transmission'?

Is changing the fluid and filter basically same as the Fords (loosen off pan to drain fluid, remove pan, fit new filter, refit pan with new seal and fill up)?
If it needs a full flush, what is the process here (on the Fords you'd undo the cooler line and let it pump out whilst putting new fluid in).
I assume DEX III or DEX IV is the go for these (and not TQ95 hehe)?

Thanks!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If the car hasn't been started it should come out pretty easy, you'll really only need to flush it if it's been turned on. The flush process is usually to just change the fluid a few times to get whatever is left in the torque converter out.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
DexIII is correct for the VS.
Don't start it. Unbolt the pan, drain it, clean it and fill it with dex 3 and it should be ok.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Did he drive it far? Shouldn't be the end of the world in that quantity but I'd be getting it towed to a shop and full flushed as my very next course of action

Fordguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a holden
He said it was a bit sluggish to change. I think I'll drop the fluid for him at a minimum but it really does need a proper flush - unfortunately that is cost prohibitive for him. I'll see about doing a partial flush via the trans cooler lines.

I generally avoid cheap fluids, but Autobarn have GW 4ltr Dex III on sale for $28 so i'll see if I can grab a few. Cheap DEX III is way better than the contaminated fluid in it at the moment.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just buy cheap DEX 3 and flush it best you can, it should be fine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What I believe you can do is drop the out line from the trans at the cooler, dump about a litre into a bottle with the engine idling shut it down, fill and repeat until you have put around 10L through it.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Maybe the reason Holden decided to drop the dip stick and filler.

Stop punters from messing with the transmission and filling with the wrong oil ?