Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Auto - wrong fluid

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What I believe you can do is drop the out line from the trans at the cooler, dump about a litre into a bottle with the engine idling shut it down, fill and repeat until you have put around 10L through it.

Bugger that. do 4 liters at a time ;)

Maybe the reason Holden decided to drop the dip stick and filler.

Stop punters from messing with the transmission and filling with the wrong oil ?

I doubt it, more likely that removing the trans fluid from the service list make is cheaper to own/run from a service cost perspective when selling new vehicles. Sealed for life transmissions are bollocks. Fluid never last forever but the manufacturer doesn't care about that as long as it survives past the warranty period. GM seems to have become notorious for this type of behavior.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Idle it until it starts to sputter, just don't leave it running like that. I figure about 4 litres is where it just starts to sputter. If you only pump out a litre and then add a little there is still a lot of contaminated fluid in the pan which you are just diluting a bit with clean fluid. Get as much out as possible, then top up and go again.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I think they moved to sealed boxes to ensure that changes were done using a pump and a full flush. When you just drop the pan and valve body fluid you're leaving a few litres behind in the convertor, lines and cooler

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does the auto without fill tube not have a pan that can be removed?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I doubt it, more likely that removing the trans fluid from the service list make is cheaper to own/run from a service cost perspective when selling new vehicles. Sealed for life transmissions are bollocks. Fluid never last forever but the manufacturer doesn't care about that as long as it survives past the warranty period. GM seems to have become notorious for this type of behavior.

Ford did the same stupid crap around the same era as Holden with their autos....The EF (built around 1994/1995) had the same stupid sealed for life transmission....So it's not GM specific...:)