Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS automatic gearbox oil problems

Dropjeslover

**** happens
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Hi guys,

I've bought a nice VS wagon (V6 automatic, 260k km on the clock) about 2 months ago and now she's giving me problems.
After a 1100km drive without problems, I suddenly have a gearbox problem.
When cold, driving a few meters off in reverse and drive, sometimes I had to put the pedal down quite a bit (say, 4000rpm) to get it going. Problems disappeared after a few 100m tho. After a 30km drive, I suddenly saw some smoke coming up under the bonnet, and traced that back to a small oil spill from the transmission filler tube, the locked filler cap was pushed out.
I found and downloaded the workshop manual, found that it could have something to do with the oil level.
Checked the oil, maximum of the dipstick hot when warm and a bit over the cold mark. Thus I replaced the gearbox oil and filter, to fill her up to the right level.

Not too many problems on the mechanical part, but I first filled chucked in all the new oil (4L, I know it needs 4,8L, was getting some extra if needed) and then poured all the old oil in the new oils cannister. According to the marks on the cannister, only 2,5L came out. Huh?

Anyways, the more weird part is that when checking the oil levels again.
When the engine is cold, the dipstick says the level is way over the cold mark (nearly the hot mark).
When the engine is warm (warming it up ideling, no racing, gone through all gears), the oil barely touches the dipstick (one drop at the bottom, below the cold mark).

Took her for a test drive, no problems. Took her for a drive a day later and felt the problem in getting her going again (no problems after a few 100m).

One small side note, a few weeks before the 1100km trip I replaced the radiator due to a small leak in the water circuit, with one from the salvage yard. It seemed clean enough, but didn't really check or cleaned the transmission cooling part in it. No problems whatsoever during the trip, no smoke, no troubles driving off, etc.

Any ideas/tips/fixes?
Especially the "more oil when cold" is puzzeling me.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
You should check the level when it is hot not cold and the motor should be running. If the level is not at the hot (Full) mark then you need to add more fluid.

Dropjeslover

**** happens
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
As I said, I checked both, with very different, not corresponding results...

Also very curious where the missing 2,3L oil went when I drained and filled it up again.

I really don't want to overfill it.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Always check automatic transmissions with the engine running. The torque convertor holds a lot of oil when the vehicle is not running, giving you false readings. Oil also expands when hot too.

Even the operators of the underground heavy earth moving equipment I work on make that mistake. They then book the machine out of service because it's not selecting gears and there's smoke billowing from the filler pipe due to little to no transmission fluid. Did you check the oil level as part of your pre start I ask. Yes, they say. I then drive down to the machine with an odd 100L of Mobil HD50, turn the machine on and fill the transmission to the correct level. Problem solved.

Dropjeslover

**** happens
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Okay, the torque converter holding oil makes sense with my experience with the difference in hot and cold level.

I'll fill her up to the proper level (hot) tomorrow and post the results.
I couldn't find a good answer/reason anywhere, thanks for the quick help!

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, the torque converter holding oil makes sense with my experience with the difference in hot and cold level.

I'll fill her up to the proper level (hot) tomorrow and post the results.
I couldn't find a good answer/reason anywhere, thanks for the quick help!

Have the engine running at idle and double check, even triple check the dipstick as you fill the transmission.

Dropjeslover

**** happens
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Have the engine running at idle and double check, even triple check the dipstick as you fill the transmission.
Of course, the other oil level checks were preformed 3-7 times in a row to make sure (it's not that much of a procedure :p )

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Of course, the other oil level checks were preformed 3-7 times in a row to make sure (it's not that much of a procedure :p )

Just have to be sure!

I'll keep an eye on this thread while I'm at work tomorrow to see how you go.

Good luck!

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
As I said, I checked both, with very different, not corresponding results...

Also very curious where the missing 2,3L oil went when I drained and filled it up again.

I really don't want to overfill it.

Well it shows it needs more since it was bearly showing anything when hot... pointless checking when cold...
Maybe keep checking the levels as it seems you may have a leak somewhere.

Tech#39

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
When you Changed the transmission filter did you you gasket glue as well as a new gasket? or just the gasket seen so many people just use the gasket and it ends up leaking, generally when you're car revs that high to move it's because the torque converter is trying to fill it's self with oil but there simply inst enough to fill it completely and lubricate the internals.