Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Berlina 3.8L Massive Problems

Cupo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8L
Serious issues with my car lately. Driving home about a month a go and it stalled 4 times in the space of 15 minutes. Managed to just start each time I rolled to the side and got it going.
So it'll start if it's cold, but if it's been running for about 15 minutes, it won't start back up. It will crank and sound totally awful, but it refuses to start. I drove it for about 20 minutes a week ago and it ran totally fine. But it's unreliable. I can't have it dying on me to and from work.

Things I've replaced and ruled out:

Coils and DFI Module, battery, oil filter, air filter and air flow sensor, fuel filter. It's got relatively (18 month old) spark plugs and leads, and I've tried new fuses and relays.

Still getting problems.

I've checked the codes and it's showing no errors other than Code 82 - 1 - 2 Shift Control Solenoid Fault - Auto Transmission Only. This code has been there for years. Mechanic said it's a transmission thing and not to worry unless the car starts playing up. But I really can't see how this is related to my problem.

I've even done the water on the crank angle sensor when it won't start (even though I'm not getting a code for a bad CAS) and that still didn't help it.

I've cleaned the IAC, throttle body, and plenum chamber too. Checked nearly every connection I could and gave them all a clean.

I'm running out of ideas here and feel that if I take it to a mechanic, they're just going to plug a scan tool in, see it's got no errors, start it up once (and it'll start) then collect the cash from me and I'll still be having dramas.

Any help from you guys would be super appreciated at this point.

Cheers.

VSBOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Sounds like your water pump.
Any noisies just before it stalls?

Cupo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8L
Water pump was replaced 2 years ago. Can't see any leaks either, if that helps rule it out. But there is no noise before it goes. Revs just drop and it's out.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I've checked the codes and it's showing no errors other than Code 82 - 1 - 2 Shift Control Solenoid Fault - Auto Transmission Only. This code has been there for years. Mechanic said it's a transmission thing and not to worry unless the car starts playing up.
Cheers.

Not sure how it would relate to your problem but it's definitely something that you should be fixing (assuming that you have an auto). According to the Holden service manual:

"When Diagnostic Trouble Code 82 is set, the transmission will have no TCC, maximum line pressure and second or third gear only depending upon when the fault occurred."

Cupo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8L
Not sure how it would relate to your problem but it's definitely something that you should be fixing (assuming that you have an auto). According to the Holden service manual:

"When Diagnostic Trouble Code 82 is set, the transmission will have no TCC, maximum line pressure and second or third gear only depending upon when the fault occurred."

Yeah I know, but like I said, that code has been on there for years and I've not had any dramas until now. But it doesn't seem to relate to what I'm experiencing. But if I can get the bloody thing to reliable start and run, then I'll definitely get that transmission error looked into.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If me Id replace the cas and fuel pump...cas's have been known the play up and not throw any error codes....

Cupo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina 3.8L
If me Id replace the cas and fuel pump...cas's have been known the play up and not throw any error codes....

Both of which I don't have the knowledge or tools to do, unfortunately.

Any other things I can try before I bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic?

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Perhaps post some video / audio of what's happening might help diagnosis.

I'm a novice, wonder if perhaps the transmission could be failing in a way that loads the motor enough for it to stall, or is it more like a misfire / fuel starvation stall. Unlikely I guess. Any problems shifting gears etc?

In the rare times that happened to me, it was always the fuel pump. (Twice in eight years.)

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Yeah I'm thinking fuel pump too. It's easy to replace, just grab a workshop manual and have a go, you'd be surprised how simple everything is on these cars once you get stuck in. Honestly, if I can do it you could probably train a dog to do it.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hmmm next time it stops turn the ignition on and off a few times listening to the fuel pump..if you cant hear it prime then its on the way out,you could also try giving the fuel tank a good wack near the fuel pump if then starts will its time to replace it..carry a spare spark plug and pop a lead off,stick the spare plug in and earth it somewhere on the motor, get someone to turn over the car, no spark prob the cas