Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Berlina Fuel Consumption

Goldie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Howdy everyone,

I just want to throw out there that my fuel consumption reads 20 litres per 100kms. I know this is VERY high, and its hitting me in the pocket. My car has a standard 6 cylinder engine as far as i know.

Does anyone know what affects the fuel consumption, and what I could check/fix/replace to improve it?

It's definately not my driving as I drive like a blind man...

Cheers all

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
I'd suggest air filter first. Easy and cheap thing to try.

Does the car throw any codes up? 45 or 65 to indicate rich conditions?

If the car runs ok I'd imagine the ignition system is ok but maybe plugs might be something to try if they are overdue.

Have you checked your consumption independently of the computer? How many kms do you get to a tank?

I don't know how the trip computer calculates usage so I maybe someone could tell you whether injectors could be the culprit. I'm guessing unlikely but don't really know.

I'm out of ideas otherwise, I know coolant, temp and airflow sensors all affect computer fuel mappings (to what degree I don't know), have you got a gregories book to test them?

Edit: Maybe oxy sensors as well as if they were reporting lean, car would increase fuel flow.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
click search and look up fuel consumption 101

It's a thread I did a while back, should point you in the right direction.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I was getting really bad fuel economy in my VR for ages. After doing the following I have been getting around 500km a tank.

Changed Engine Oil and Filter
Changed Air Filter
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Leads
Cleaned Throttle Body
Started Using BP Ultimate Fuel instead of Standard Unleaded Fuel
Changed Oxygen Sensor
Changed Coolant Temperature Sender
Ran a Couple of Bottles of Injector Cleaner

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais, VSII Senator 215i, VZ X8, WL Caprice
I have a VS berlina with the V8 under the bonnet and with plenty of higher speed limit driving(90-120kmp/h),i easy get 500k's out of a full tank,got 600 2 tanks in a row mid last year.I get 450-500 on any average tank.Can see why a V6 cant match this once you change fluids,filters and maybe a few plugs and leads dude