Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Bonnet release help

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
Im just been told that i need to replace the bonnet, i think its called, primary latch (female). Is there a way to replace it myself ?
bonnet latch.jpg

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
First, why do you think you need to replace the latch? What problems are you experiencing? Might just be a simple matter of adjustment or lubrication.

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
you can buy a new one for about $50 on ebay
there bar that clips in (just out of image ) use a screw drive to pop it out and pull it out from the coil part, make sure you slip the bonnet cable off as well

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Commodore-Bonnet-Lock-Release-Spring-VN-VP-VR-VS-VT-Safety-catch-latch/272337554639?fits=Plat_Gen:VS&epid=2147530250&hash=item3f68954ccf:g:QdgAAOSwhV1c0s48&frcectupt=true

Thanks for the reply. Your link sent me to a release spring, but i was talking about the hole the Bonnet Spring Catch Striker goes into

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
First, why do you think you need to replace the latch? What problems are you experiencing? Might just be a simple matter of adjustment or lubrication.

Was unable to open the bonnet. Replaced wire last year but it did'nt totally work. ReLubed it everytime i opened the bonnet. Still had to lever release spring with screwdriver to pop the bonnet. Had to take it to mechanics today as the screwdriver method didnt work anymore. They told me i had needed to replace that spring catch hole part.

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
Im just been told that i need to replace the bonnet, i think its called, primary latch (female). Is there a way to replace it myself ?View attachment 205319

Sorry. Photo is not of my car as it is at the mechanics as their concern is, after they opened it for me, if i shut it again it wont open. Photo is of a different commodore for description purposes

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What I suggest you do, is to get someone to press down on the front edge of the bonnet while you pull the release lever. If the bonnet then opens, it's a matter of adjusting the prong that goes down into the hole that you pictured. The prong has a cutout in the end for a screw driver, and there is a lock nut at the point where it enters the bonnet. Loosen the lock nut and try turning the prong to the left, say half a turn, tighten the lock nut, and see if that makes any difference. Continue doing that a couple of times. You might need to experiment until you find a position where the bonnet opens properly and still closes with a snug fit.

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
What I suggest you do, is to get someone to press down on the front edge of the bonnet while you pull the release lever. If the bonnet then opens, it's a matter of adjusting the prong that goes down into the hole that you pictured. The prong has a cutout in the end for a screw driver, and there is a lock nut at the point where it enters the bonnet. Loosen the lock nut and try turning the prong to the left, say half a turn, tighten the lock nut, and see if that makes any difference. Continue doing that a couple of times. You might need to experiment until you find a position where the bonnet opens properly and still closes with a snug fit.

Pushing on the front of the bonnet hasnt worked for quite some time. But i have left the bonnet open until i worked something out. will give that a try tomorrow.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
One other thing to check - open the plastic cover under the steering wheel, and check that the lever is still sitting within its indents. Mine popped out.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
You cannot replace the whole assembly easily, it is part of the radiator support assembly.

Mine has excess wear and causes the spring to get stuck if it goes too far. Ends up with a stiff bonnet release lever, is almost impossible to open.

I haven't had an issue again lately, it seems to be ok. I didn't do anything to rectify the issue either...