Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS brake issue

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
just then i was driving and i could smell something either burning or it was really hot, and then i got a light pop up on the dash the same light that comes on when the hand brake is up.

and when i went to brake at the next set of lights i had to put the pedal straight to the floor to try and get the car to stop.

what seems to be the issue here, this couldnt have come at a worse time having a road trip saturday!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe a brake fluid leak,is there brake fluid left in the reservoirs and are they at normal levels?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like you have lost either your front or rear brakes - for safety reasons the brake system is split with one circuit for the front and the other for the rear. With this system if the brakes fail, you will usually only lose half your braking power.
You should not drive the car under these circumstances so I'd take it to a brake shop before the inevitable happens. Bad timing but it could have happened on the freeway at 100kph when a B double suddenly appears in front of you.

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
just checked my resevoir and it was empty so i topped it up this morning and parked it on an incline so i could check if it had leaked later on.

had a look nothing came out, i pumped the brakes a few times to see if i would loose any fluid, and the brakes work fine now.

but i cant see a way of the fluid disapeering, unless its leaking or somehow evaporates?

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
just checked my resevoir and it was empty so i topped it up this morning and parked it on an incline so i could check if it had leaked later on.

had a look nothing came out, i pumped the brakes a few times to see if i would loose any fluid, and the brakes work fine now.

but i cant see a way of the fluid disapeering, unless its leaking or somehow evaporates?

You have a MAJOR fault in your braking system.

As hako has stated, you should not drive it until it is repaired.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If there is no noticeable sign of leakage of fluid and you have lost a fair bit then it could be leaking out the back of the master cylinder and filling up the booster...thats what happenned to my vh before the booster went totally and I fitted a later model setup.

My Vs Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Commodore Executive
Hey dude u should check around ur brake booster, somtimes they will leak and break,

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Don't risk your life as well as others - get someone qualified to check it out & quote on it..the way things are nowadays if its proven that you knew something was wrong & you drove the car without getting it checked you could end up in jail for manslaughter if some one died - in or out of the car...