Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS brake upgrade help

ZAC8200

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S2 Equipe
Hi all,

I currently have a vs commodore which I plan to upgrade the brakes on. I have so far got calipers and dba slotted rotors from a vy.

I am aware I need to buy shims for the rotors already, but also in regards to the upgrade I have seen vs commodore booster/master cylinder combos listed as having the 1inch diaphragm(assuming from late model vs commodores). Can anyone confirm if these will fit without any hassles or not? Also I intend on installing new braided lines just for added peace of mind. Will I need just vs lines or do I need vt onwards?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Need conversion lines. Use the whole vt setup or don’t bother. There’s plenty of info on the conversion if you do a search.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Master/booster upgrade is one of the best things I have done.
What size master do you have at present? 15/16?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A bigger bore master on its own requires a stronger booster; ie larger bore, less pressure at the pads, if all other things being the same. I fitted braided lines all round to mine and it has made a marked improvement. Fitting a decent brand of pads and new quality rotors all round help, plus braided lines help make the stock system fairly reasonable.

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i fitted a modified booster vt/master cylinder to my vs ute last year from ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Commodore-VT-Master-Booster-conversion-suit-VB-VC-VH-VK-VL-VN-VP-VQ-VR-VS-/333085277227?nma=true&si=gGoBrOygigWXPJBf8SZ6G541g8o%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 you need it when you do any brake upgrade to a vs
keep checking ebay to see if it listed and its complete, bracket correct reservoir and low fluid warning light plug (vz change plug and location )

race brake sydney do them too or the do sell a spacer to fit a vt m/c to a plastic vs booster ... difference is the metal vt- vy booster dual diaphragm
in this thread markvr tells you what modifications needed to fit vt b/mc to early commys he use to make and sell them on here and ebay https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...r-cylinder-and-brake-booster-question.153402/

Last edited:

ZAC8200

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S2 Equipe

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
From what I have reasearched, the booster/master is a must. I thought it may have been easier to use the vs style
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/323754618449

Has anyone installed a standard vt setup using the bracket? I’ve heard there’s a bit more work involved in this.

In terms of pads I’ll probaby just stick to bendix premium etc

when we say modified the vt brackets have 4 bolts and the vs 2 than the push rod length to get the correct pedal height
all the measurements to make the bracket and push rod are in the last link

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you don't want to upgrade the master cylinder/booster look at a VE conversion, bigger brakes with smaller pistons so less fluid needs to be displaced.