Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs brake upgread to vt brakes

richie401

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SS 6LT
hey all i am looking in to upgreading my vs brakes to the vt brake, just wondering wat parts i need??? thanks all

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hey all i am looking in to upgreading my vs brakes to the vt brake, just wondering wat parts i need??? thanks all

You will need 2 vt disc/calipers/lines and an adaptor to fit the vt master to the vs booster i beleive, i think race brakes have them racebrakes.com.au, If its a bit dear then you can modify a vn/r bracket and just do the entire vt booster and master, which may be better anywayz as the vs booster is only 3to1 boost and the vt/x is 4.25to1. http://users.bigpond.net.au/jimbo123/VN/
Its not absolutely nessacary to do the master but you will have a low pedal.
ABS will be fine, just be carful not to get to much air in the lines(bend them up a bit when you take them out) and dont let the resovoir run dry when you are bleeding the system. did this to my vr if its any help at all Vt booster m/c in Vr V8 with ABS

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
did you do it>?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Imperative:

1. VT Twin Piston Calipers
  2. VT 296X28mm Rotors
  3. Modified Brake lines (VS ones will not work, neither will VT ones) - you will need to get them custom made or get Braided ones from Mr Spares or RaceBrakes
  4. VT Brake Pads

Not Necessary but Highly Recommended:

1. VT Master Cylinder
  2. VT Brake Booster
  3. VT Booster Mounting Bracket (Can be sourced from MarkoVR - fellow JC member)
NOTE:

I highly recommend you do the entire upgrade, and use the VT Master Cylinder along with the VT Booster.

The VS Booster & VT Master Cylinder combo is absolutely disgusting. Very long, spongy loose pedal with barely any feel. The twin diaphragm Steel VT booster is far better suited to the bigger calipers (also being twin piston rather than the VS single piston) than the single diaphragm Plastic VS booster.

If you want to read about the problems I had with VS Booster - VT Master combo, read here: VT Brake upgrade - Long and Spongy Pedal

Cost:

I did the whole upgrade for $500 worth of parts. Very very worthwhile....if I bought another VS, I would do this one or the VE 328mm Brake upgrade in a heartbeat.

Pushrod Modification for VT Booster:

If you decide to run with the VT booster you will need to modify the pushrod so that it will appropriately line up with the pedal.

- See picture

I. This hole needs to be welded up, a new hole 3/8 (9mm) wide needs to be drilled (see next step)
II. The new hole needs to be drilled 113mm from the base of the booster, which should be a tiny bit down from the previous hole.

Booster.jpg

Last edited:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Got to watch not using the VT master cylinder. Because the brake pedal is lower the rear brakes work harder. Gets a bit skatie when trying to stop in a hurry at higher speeds.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Got to watch not using the VT master cylinder. Because the brake pedal is lower the rear brakes work harder. Gets a bit skatie when trying to stop in a hurry at higher speeds.

Yep, Personally I wouldn't even consider doing the upgrade without the VT Master Cylinder and the Booster.

VT Master is definitely definitely needed though.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Shameless plug: I got some slotted rotors and vt calipers for sale if you need - all maybe 2 years old and still reasonably shiny. - llocated in SE melb - make an offer if interested.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
whats a ve upgrade worth ???/ if you know that is? cheeers
Imperative:

1. VT Twin Piston Calipers
  2. VT 296X28mm Rotors
  3. Modified Brake lines (VS ones will not work, neither will VT ones) - you will need to get them custom made or get Braided ones from Mr Spares or RaceBrakes
  4. VT Brake Pads

Not Necessary but Highly Recommended:

1. VT Master Cylinder
  2. VT Brake Booster
  3. VT Booster Mounting Bracket (Can be sourced from MarkoVR - fellow JC member)
NOTE:

I highly recommend you do the entire upgrade, and use the VT Master Cylinder along with the VT Booster.

The VS Booster & VT Master Cylinder combo is absolutely disgusting. Very long, spongy loose pedal with barely any feel. The twin diaphragm Steel VT booster is far better suited to the bigger calipers (also being twin piston rather than the VS single piston) than the single diaphragm Plastic VS booster.

If you want to read about the problems I had with VS Booster - VT Master combo, read here: VT Brake upgrade - Long and Spongy Pedal

Cost:

I did the whole upgrade for $500 worth of parts. Very very worthwhile....if I bought another VS, I would do this one or the VE 328mm Brake upgrade in a heartbeat.

Pushrod Modification for VT Booster:

If you decide to run with the VT booster you will need to modify the pushrod so that it will appropriately line up with the pedal.

- See picture

I. This hole needs to be welded up, a new hole 3/8 (9mm) wide needs to be drilled (see next step)
II. The new hole needs to be drilled 113mm from the base of the booster, which should be a tiny bit down from the previous hole.

Booster.jpg

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Bout $750 - $1000 depending on your preferences/needs.

Contact Greg at GSL Rallysport - he's a site sponsor. He'll look after you.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
IS THAT FITTED? and thanks for the info on rally sport,,,, 1 last thing>would it be a much better brake upgrade over the stock vt>? thanks again
Bout $750 - $1000 depending on your preferences/needs.

Contact Greg at GSL Rallysport - he's a site sponsor. He'll look after you.