Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS brakes just failed!

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
Hey guys, the brakes on my vs wagon have been pretty bad for a while now they wouldn't engage until my foot was almost on the floor, since today however the pedal has been hissing constantly when the brakes are inactive and there was lots of resistance like compressing air up until the brakes come on, and then it happened the brakes now completly lack stopping power, there is still resistance on the pedal just very little actually brake function.

Reservoir is full, although fluid is probably in need of a change, maybe they just need bleeding? Has anyone got experience with this?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
sounds like your booster is cactus. i think holden still sell them. also check that the vacuum hose from booster to motor is not cracked/perished

if they wouldnt start working until the pedal was almost on the floor it would be a good idea to bleed them at the same time u put in the new booster

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Definately brake booster

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
Damn I was hoping it wouldn't be anything that needs replacing. I'll still have a look at vacuum lines tomorrow, but I think you may be right about the booster. Any idea on what they might sell for from holden? Is it much work to replace?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You should get your brakes inspected NOW. The problem could be anything from leaking calipers to the booster....but get it fixed...soon please.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If the pedal is sinking then I suspect you have more serious problems than the booster, don't drive it.

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
Man I can't drive the car right now to get looked at :( I think the constant hissing when the brakes aren't applied is the biggest hint of what the problem might be... But yeah definitely going to park up the wagon until I can rosolve this problem, will keep ya's posted.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Is it going through alot of brake fluid,or is it low on fluid,if so then it could be the o rings in the master cylinder aswell

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
after sussing it out again today, I'm pretty certain it is the booster. The hissing sound, sounds like the vacuum is leaking through the seals in the booster and the vacuum pressure loss is causing a bad idle too. Will try and get a new booster asap. Anyone know the procedure for bleeding brakes on a vs also?

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
If the booster is leaking, You still should have brakes but just very hard to push henc no boosting. Your master cly maybe bypassing internaly and with the pedal getting closer to the floor and a booster that normaly dosnt operate in that part of the shaft seal that is over 15 years old it is now leaking....Even if it has air in the system you still have a major fault air just dosnt get in to a system unless its failed....
Before replacing the booster check other things as well......