Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Brakes

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
My front brakes are squeaking and occaisionally feel and sound like they are scraping/clunking...

I have planned to do a VT Brake upgrade or get some HSV brakes...or at least some bigger better brakes...

what would be the cause of the clunking? rotors? calipers? is it worth getting new replacements or just going for a set of larger brakes? if so any suggestions on which ones apart from the ones I have mentioned?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I had clunking on my early VR front rotors, turned out it was movement in the slider pins many years of sliding had caused them to become very thing, also VERY dangerous. new pins cost me about $20, getting replacement pads and rotors will make a difference but if your miles from liking the brakes you currently have then VT twin piston one is for you.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Two options available for an upgrade, instead of going VT, I do the VE spec upgrade. New slotted rotors, new calipers, new pads, new braided lines, all the mounting hardware and brake fluid too. 298mm rotors or 322mm rotors $695 for the kit. Front only.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Im not sure on vs brakes but i know my vr brakes were hopless, i couldnt properly stop my car coming down hills to intersections especially was an issue and one i faced everyday where i live. The first thing i did when i got the car was get the pads replaced rotors machined...yadadada and not much difference. So i ripped em off and threw the vt brakes on the front and its now much better, i can recomend it

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
How much did it all cost you? where did you buy the parts from?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
My VS is fitted with a full DBA setup including slotted and cross-drilled rotors all round. Suffice to say braking isn't an issue, but don't even try doing wheel stands. :p

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

cost me just under $600 all up. Thats everything, vt booster, vt master, vt calipers, vt rotors, adaptor steel braid brake lines, hub rings, engineers certificate to make it legal and brake fluid ect...

Calipers and rotors i got off ebay, booster master and bracket i got off markovr. the rest i got from the local brake shop.

TrevVNVS

Reaction score
If you head down the wreckers and get your mitts on a set of front calipers with hoses and rotors all you'll need is the shim for the rotors. Shim's set me back $60 from autobarn.. and the rest wasn't much more from the wreckers! Straight retro fit, just need to grind down the backing dust cover or whatever it is to get the VT's in. I didn't have any problems with pedal travel with my VS booster and master set up. Stopping power can't be compared... my tyres are now the weak link!

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon

I have a set of front HSV VT-VZ set up for VR-VS on eBay at the moment.

SW

AyeJay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Holden Statesman 5.0ltr
Can some please help me out.. iv got an 97 Vs Stato thats in need of new rotors and pads. I wanna upgrade it becoz iv got two daughters under the age of 2 and i wanna make sure that my cars safe for them to be in. I feel that the stock brakes are underperforming due to the weight of the car. But Definately wanna upgrade ASAP coz i can hear my front right brakes grinding into the rotor.. so if anyone can help me out then il greatly appreciate it!