Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS BUCKET Manual Conversion

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
Manual boxes don't have torque converters, only autos. Manual tailshaft from VN-VS can be used. Not sure about VS S2.

Exhaust might not be a problem as the auto boxes are wider, but I've never done this conversion.

hmmm ok thanks

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Manual boxes don't have torque converters, only autos. Manual tailshaft from VN-VS can be used. Not sure about VS S2.

Exhaust might not be a problem as the auto boxes are wider, but I've never done this conversion.

Some T5's are different. I had to change my exhaust. Just put a VP Y pipe in and added another hole for the second 02 sensor.

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
hmm, not going to be as quick of a project as i presumed gona be awsome once its done non the less. cheers for all the input guys, jonah. its little things like knowing that the starter moters are different that will be the most golden, id hate to get it all together and then have to wait a month for one

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Have you got a flywheel yet? If its not off a ecotec you will have to balance it. you will need an 8 bolt one :)

BTW I got mine done in one day, so should be able to do it within in a weekend easy.

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
looking at one one trade me but un sure if its the right one. waiting on the dude to answer my question. he says vn but the series one has a 6bolt n the series two has the 8 bolt? is that right?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
looking at one one trade me but un sure if its the right one. waiting on the dude to answer my question. he says vn but the series one has a 6bolt n the series two has the 8 bolt? is that right?

Yeah you need 8bolt, you can use an adapter but its a bit of a waste of time tbh

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
What about drilling a 6bolt flywheel? Iv heard of it being done.. i just cant find a 8bolt flywheel at a reasonable price..cheapst i found was 500 for a secnd hand flywheel is ###n ridiculus when i paid 600 for a gearbox. Where as there a clutch and flywheel on trademe for 200..

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Regarding the tailshaft, I just used the yoke I got off eBay. So just changed the yokes to suit.