Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS BUCKET Manual Conversion

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
I have been rummaging through this site for a while and have decided to finally sign up and just ask straight up.

I have just brought a T5 speed box for my 97 vs bucket, it was nice and cheap.

whats the deal with ; the hydraulic/cable? (from what i can tell the vs has a cable as does the t5?), torque convertors and exhaust clearance?

what i know is that i will need a series one flywheel to make it fit, the yolk of my auto and a pedal box. is it really going to be that simple?

cheers for any feedback in advance.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
torque convertors

Torque converter?

T5's ran the cable clutch, VS S2 had the hydraulic. ECU will need some modding to make the speedo work and to make sure you don't have idle problems. Delcohacking has this info.

You also need a manual tailshaft. T5 and 4L60E yolks are different too.

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket

Attachments

• 268185000.jpg
    268185000.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 226

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Yeah thats a T5 alright. You are gonna need.

Fly wheel ( correctly balanced )
Pedal box
clutch cable
clutch assembly
front half of drive shaft
an exhaust from a vr or older ( or just y pipes and have rest of exhaust modified )

There is more but they are the most important. What part of NZ are you from, If you are local I would be keen to help :)

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
Torque converter?

T5's ran the cable clutch, VS S2 had the hydraulic. ECU will need some modding to make the speedo work and to make sure you don't have idle problems. Delcohacking has this info.

You also need a manual tailshaft. T5 and 4L60E yolks are different too.

yea i saw it in one of the threads on here some one needed to change torque converters when changing boxes, im guessing that doesnt apply to me?

ecu mods and manual tailshaft THNKS! where would i be finding said tailshaft? a manual commy or can i scavange one from elsewhere?

Captian Soup

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS bucket
Yeah thats a T5 alright. You are gonna need.

Fly wheel ( correctly balanced )
Pedal box
clutch cable
clutch assembly
front half of drive shaft
an exhaust from a vr or older ( or just y pipes and have rest of exhaust modified )

There is more but they are the most important. What part of NZ are you from, If you are local I would be keen to help :)

im a jaffa mate... soo you wouldnt have any of these bits kicking around would ya? lol

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
yea i saw it in one of the threads on here some one needed to change torque converters when changing boxes, im guessing that doesnt apply to me?

ecu mods and manual tailshaft THNKS! where would i be finding said tailshaft? a manual commy or can i scavange one from elsewhere?

Manual boxes don't have torque converters, only autos. Manual tailshaft from VN-VS can be used. Not sure about VS S2.

Exhaust might not be a problem as the auto boxes are wider, but I've never done this conversion.