Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs buick conversion need help

Cuerdo99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Hey everyone just put a buick with a t5 behind it into my auto vs berlina everythings working fine turns over but doesnt run i used the ecu and harness from the buick motor ive ordered a new memcal with vats delete should my car work after this? Is there Anything i missed?

mrphanx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5speed
did u get it running mate looking at doing the same

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I don't get it..............why would anyone want to put a Buick into an Ecotec fitted vehicle ????????

That's like putting a 202 Red motor into a VL that had an RB30 originally fitted.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Track car maybe....seen it before some rule that wont allow ecotech but the buick is ok

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh Ok, always felt that the Ecotec was the coming of age for the Buick as I owned a VL from near new and that was a beautiful car and then the VN came out and the engineering was a jump back of 10 years compared to how smooth the RB30 was. Damm that 87 Stock market crash that caused the change as the Nissan engine was originally going to be slated into the VN until they had something better from the GM stable to use.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I actually think the Buick is a decent engine. Mine is smooth and goes fairly well. It also doesn't seem to have the sludging issues the Eco has. I had a VL and it was ok but to carry out any engine repairs cost you 4x as much as a Holden or Ford engine did. It was nice but the issue was it was Nissan, who's parts are for some reason way overpriced compare to Toyotas or most other Jap cars.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also IMHO the remainder of the VL was fairly ordinary. It wasn't finished well interior was pretty plain and the bumpers and mouldings were so flimsy that they damaged really easily. It was really behind the times in what a number of other vehicles were offering at the same time. I only had the SL but i kinda thought it was a POS except for the engine, there was nothing Standard Luxury about it. Mine was stolen and never recovered. One of the easiest cars to steal of its generation too.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Had a 5 speed Calais back in the day with the dirty 30 wish I still had it today extractors 2.5 to the diff and 3 inch hanging out sounded naught went okay and interior was comfy

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
One of the easiest cars to steal of its generation too

as were all other Australian built vehicles. The reason why VL's were targeted was because they were rocket ships in their day compared to the previous Holder 6 Cylinder offerings and Ford vehicles like the XF.

If you had a VL Berlina like I did or the Calais from new you would've instantly said that the VN was a massive step backward. It's NVH figures were way high compared to VL which just got smoother and smoother when you depressed the pedal, whilst the VN just got harsher and harsher the harder you pushed it.

I clearly remember when we lost our EA Falcon as a group vehicle at work and it was replaced with a VN Series II everyone wanted the Falcon back. Being a Holden person I was disgusted at the VN and was ashamed to say that I also wanted the EA back. It was just an all round better car.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I remember the hype about the VN and people eagerly waiting for it to come out. Although i never owned one only knew those who did, looking back i don't think I was impressed and am still not impressed with the VN either. I think when Holden went to the VR and maybe VP they started to step it up a bit.
Yes about the upgrade VL would have been far better than the rather average SL wagon i had. I wasn't impressed with the way my VL drove seemed awfully rolly for a vehicle that had only done 100k. Components were poor because at 100k i already was up for struts. I had an LX Torana that handled better than the VL.