Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS bumper bonnet re-spray?

knowles77

blarrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ecotech
Hi all i recently got backed into and the bonnet and bumper got a bit messed. what is the best plan of attack with this, new gards are $310 for bumper and $600 for bonnet (owch!!!) thats without painting! got a quote of 1800 os so and nearly choked as the cars only gotta be worth 5k, I can't belive its gonna cost me 40% the price of the car to fix the bonnet.

MY question is, how easy is it to get second hand parts buff them back to the metal/gel coat and then give to the shop to respray.... how much should i be expecting for this (its metallic blue), also the shop wanted to respray the front side covers as well so the colour change isn't obvious. How bad is it going to be if i only do the the bonnet & bumper?? (the cars paint is quite new as it is).
any info on this would be much appreciated.
thanks

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
my bonnet is peeling the clear and fading as a result. i went to my local crash shop the other day and he said $300 cash for the bonnet, another $50 each for the top of the guards to blend it in. considering everywhere else i rang they want $600+.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
last time i asked (last year) full front respray including replacement side gaurd $1000 cash, which im prepared to pay, coz he's a perfectionist.

u can buy bonnet and bumper, and sand them back urself, then all you'll be up for is prime and paint.

bittsa

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR acclaim
im an apprentice spraypainter. the issuse with gettin second hand parts that are the same colour is, chances are the colour will be slighty out due to different expose to the sun and all sorts of things. but it wont be to far out if you just wont a cheap way out.

i dont do quotes so i cant tell you what to expect, but you get what you pay for. pay cheap and dont expect it to be perfect, pay top dollar and anything wrong with it you can rightfully take it back and tell them to fix it. but if you want the job to look good get the shop to do all the work.

if you start sanding back the panel at home and find a old repair then you will have to fix it again, if you use the wrong abrasive you could really damage the metal, or if you get the panel to hot you can warp it, the bonnet especially, as the skin is glued to the frame and it is easy to create high spots around that area. if any of this happens in the shop then its up to them to fix it. also i would recommend blending the guards, edge to egde paint jobs on metalics often come out funny.

hope this all helps