Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS CAI - won't fit due to tranny cooler hose

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Has anyone had an issue with the genuine holden CAI not fitting the VS (to ecotec) and any 'best method' solutions... the pipe that goes from the OTR duct to the airbox doesn't have enough clearance without putting pressure and bending the transmission cooler hose coming out of the radiator about an inch or so.... I'm thinking of putting a spacer under the airbox to raise the entire assembly and clearing the hose, but perhaps this might not make the duct fit properly over the radiator (bonnet closing etc)...

anyone had any experience/ thoughts?? also is my cooler hose different from others... never heard of this problem before and all everywhere seems to say is "the supercharged CAI will bolt right onto the ecotec" etc etc....

PS. i DID learn the hard way and think the cooler hose would survive but it didn't after a couple of days and pissed out fluid everywhere as it split at the clamp. quite embarassing

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
are you sure you got the right cai like i know the v8 one dont fit on v6 due to hitting on things

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Has anyone had an issue with the genuine holden CAI not fitting the VS (to ecotec) and any 'best method' solutions... the pipe that goes from the OTR duct to the airbox doesn't have enough clearance without putting pressure and bending the transmission cooler hose coming out of the radiator about an inch or so.... I'm thinking of putting a spacer under the airbox to raise the entire assembly and clearing the hose, but perhaps this might not make the duct fit properly over the radiator (bonnet closing etc)...

No this is normal. If you have a series I VS, you just put a longer length of hose on, you can go over the top of the duct pipe, which puts less stress on the hose. This is all that I did. From the thread linked to below, it appears that Series II models with the proper couplings don't have this problem.

There is a better thread somewhere, this was the best I could find: (http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ng-cai-my-car-trans-cooler-line-help-plz.html)

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
mate i had the same problem with my ute with an ecotec and a supercharged cai. wouldn't work cause of the trans line. had to go and get a different cai for a v6 ecotec fitted no problem. the other thing you can do if your interested is marking the underside of the cai tube where the trans line wants to go through and then pull it out and heat it up. once you have it hot use a pipe and push it into it until you get the clearance you need.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeha just go to autobarn and ask for the trans cooler pipe. Buy a length of it and then cut to the desired length so that there is more than normal so the cooler line can go over the top of the CAI duct. You lose a bit of tranny fluid so make sure you top up. Also do this when the car is COLD, so you dont burn yourself with tranny fluid.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I fitted the V8 one to my V6. No issues at all. It just had a big gap under the bottom where it would have sat on the fan shroud of the V8.

You can just bend that pipe anyway, it won't hurt anything.

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Ok then i wont believe everything im told then thats the reason havnt fit my cai yet cos my mate said it wont fit cos its a v8 one.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
yep i had too push some piping out of the way mildly fitting mine .

matt089

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II S-Pac 5spd
my brother just bought a vs wagon and the cai and is having the same problem and was wondeing whether could just get an elbow bend put into the trans cooler pipe im guessing this would be fine but just wanted to double check with someone??
thanks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It doesn't have to move far, just bend it. As long as you don't kink it, it will be fine.