Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais 5L aircon compressor

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
Hi I have a series 2 Calais 5L V8. Originally when I got it, the aircon did not work at all. There was no power to the climate control module nor was the compressor any good. I got a second hard compressor and brand new belp put on, regassed and fixed the relay in the module.

All was working fairly well for around 2 months, until the belt started slipping. Tightening didn't fix it, nor did belt grip. so I put a new belt on, which still did not stop it from slipping, even after tightening it a couple times. Since putting the new belt on, the compressor itself is doing some weird stuff. In the morning, the aircon will work and blow cold, not cool. Until the car warms up a bit, the belt starts slipping while accelerating and even a bit on idle. It is so loud I have to turn the aircon off, and the slipping stops. If I turn the car off for a few hours or even just a minute and try drive it the same day, the compressor won't kick in at all, no matter what I do. Using a test light, when it does not kick in, there is no power even coming from the main feed where it connects to the compressor.

Could this be a simple relay issue as well? As for the slipping of the belt, could I have picked up a compressor on the way out that starts locking up when it loads up?
Some ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The AC system has a hi/low pressure switch, should either of these conditions occur it will stop the system from been activated.

When the system was re-gassed, did they add the required amount of special oil to lubricate the system? It is a real possibility that the replacement compressor is on it's last legs.

AntonioNicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
It is likely they didn't add the lubricant as you say, because the compressor and all that was put on my by myself and my father and we took it just to get regassed. But my thoughts would also be the compressor failing