Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais and AERPRO aftermarket harness.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi All

Have had the dash apart for various reasons and thought I would try one of the AERPRO aftermarket harnesses that is supposed to give you steering wheel controls to aftermarket head units. It turned up today after 2 weeks from Supercheap and even though it is the VR/VS harness, it is not the same as my VS Calais harness. I don't believe there was a Calais option, just VR/VS commodore. Can someone please look at the pics below and let me know if their VS harness is the same as mine. It was in the car when I got it and the wiring had been butchered for the pioneer head unit but some of the wires were still attached to the car loom so I believe it is the original, I'm just annoyed now that after waiting for 2 weeks, this a/m harness does not fit. Thanks, Glenn.

CalaisStereoLoom_zpsbbbff16b.jpg

My calais plug (sorry for the crappy blurred images)

AerproLoom_zps1f2e7527.jpg

AERPRO plug

CalaisStereoLoom2_zpsdda0771d.jpg

My plug

AerproLoom2_zps1c3b02ef.jpg

AERPRO plug

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
I believe the VS Calais came with the "premium" sound system from factory, meaning you're factory eurovox HU has the manual override antenna height switches.

I know the standard eurovoxes in Commodores don't have these switches on the HU as they don't have an electric antenna and Berlina's had separate switches under the HU.

This may mean there are extra pins and wires in the Calais plug and harness to cater for the antenna.

I'm not too sure about any other factors for the connector besides this, and the steering wheel controls.

Your best bet is to check online for a suitable harness adapter.

There is also a steering wheel control adapter you will need to get, as the controls wont work with a new HU.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thanks KrisG, there are extra pins for antenna up/down etc and a couple of others, the problem is the AERPRO adapter above is supposed to be the adapter that allows your steering wheel controls to work for aftermarket head units. The problem is it doesn't fit what I believe to be the standard VS Calais loom plug which is why I wanted to see if someone could compare my plug above with one they might currently have access to through a wrecked vehicle or someone currently changing their stereo over.
I also got the harness for the aftermarket stereo which plugs into the AERPRO just fine. If someone can compare VS plugs to my photo, I'll know whether I can send the AERPRO back for being the wrong item or if my Calais plug is wrong. Otherwise I'll just cut the plug and solder it all which is what I was trying to avoid to begin with but such is life.

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
I can't be of much help then cause I cannot say for sure if that is a Calais one, but judging by the pics it seems that it is.

The Aerpro plug you have now is the exact same one that I used in my Berlina, it plugged in perfectly. If this is the case, and that is the original Calais harness you have there, then you have the wrong Aerpro adapter.

I found this thread, it might help:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1993-1997/60635-vs-calais-radio-harness.html

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
I had this problem with my old Calais. My antenna never worked, but I believe the VT harness fits the VS Calais plug. Pretty sure this is how I overcame my issue.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
KrisG - thanks for the link and the info about the Berlina plug fitting, happy that the Calais is definately standard then but different from the Berlina, you've been a great help. Gamblr, the link KrisG sent me was from your old post so glad you responded as well. How did the VT harness go with all the functions after you wired it up and was the blown resistor in the new head unit or something else. Am keen to get this thing happening as the dash is in pieces. Have just replaced the air bag cover with one in much better nick and put 6in splits in the front with the tweeters where the originals were as I had the dash out. I have the pioneer loom to fit the AERPRO so if I do need the VT Calais harness, I'll take it back to Supercheap and get the VT. Thanks, will keep all posted.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Thanks KrisG, there are extra pins for antenna up/down etc and a couple of others, the problem is the AERPRO adapter above is supposed to be the adapter that allows your steering wheel controls to work for aftermarket head units. The problem is it doesn't fit what I believe to be the standard VS Calais loom plug which is why I wanted to see if someone could compare my plug above with one they might currently have access to through a wrecked vehicle or someone currently changing their stereo over.
I also got the harness for the aftermarket stereo which plugs into the AERPRO just fine. If someone can compare VS plugs to my photo, I'll know whether I can send the AERPRO back for being the wrong item or if my Calais plug is wrong. Otherwise I'll just cut the plug and solder it all which is what I was trying to avoid to begin with but such is life.

I can't help regarding your VS plug but Pioneer head units do not have the ability to be controlled with steering wheel controls via the loom. Not many Pioneer head units support external controls mainly the high end navigation and DVD system units have a 2.5mm/3.5mm input that can accept steering wheel controls.

Last edited:

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
StoneX, glad you chimed in after the advice you gave last time was spot on re the ground and the RCA leads. After reading what you said I went back to the AERPRO site and they talk about these harnesses and also a patch lead that you plug into the input. The only input I can see on the head unit is a w/r (wired remote input for a hard wired remote control adapter). Given the remote control does all those functions on the head unit, is there a chance this patch lead would perform the same function when plugged into the harness and the input through the steering wheel controls. I have gone back to the company asking how they advertise this **** to do steering wheel controls etc when it doesn't and also the fact that they VS harness does not fit the calais, after looking at the pictures on the site the plug I need is definately the VT plug. Will be looking for an exchange at the least to tidy things up. Let me know what you think and I'll report back on any answers given.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Okay, so I got a quick response back from the AERPRO site, their products definately do not allow our steering wheels controls to work with after market head units so I think from that side of things, their site needs to be updated at the least to make it easier to find this stuff out without actually buying the goods and paying postage you will not get back. They also need to make people aware that the VS Calais does not fit under the VS Commodore banner for the harnesses, it is definately the VT harness required. They said our steering wheel controls will work if you purchase something called the Cat10 from Stinger, a quick google search indicates about $170 and specific claims in regards to fitting our model cars. Maybe if I was setting up a brilliant expensive system I would go down this avenue but not for me I'm afraid. I'll just have to install a manual switch for the electric aerial and put up with the stereo remote control Thanks everybody for the input, once again a result achieved through here even if it wasn't the one I was after.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, that W/R connection is for steering wheel controls but not many of the head units have that connection.

I just spoke to someone and they said that Aerpro does do an adapter to allow the steering wheel controls so that's probably what you have, if it has a 3.5mm headphone looking plug.

The cat products work well but they're expensive.