Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais Drivers Side Rear Door Rattle and Clunk

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
I doubt you will get a reply seeing as this is a 13yo thread and the user was banned.

Try wrapping a little electrical tape around the striker. When these cars were new they had a plastic sleeve around the striker, when those eventually fail their is a little play there.

Hi - thanks for this. Thought so - should have made a new post altogether... I did try to wrap some reinforced tape around the striker loop and it seems to be working but I've got to test it for a while as I should have then sprayed it with a bit of Inox (have done that now). So even the VR's had hard plastic around the striker? Grateful for that. I just checked with my local mechanic about the issue and he said that replacing the hinges can be a nightmare with some cars - my laptop is horribly slow so I couldn't look up the process yet but will do asap. OK - so the fellow who made the (helpful) post was banned?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It seems so but can't say what the reason was. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
It seems so but can't say what the reason was. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.

Strange one that one... but the tip was very helpful. Seems like the original black plastic coating wears off the striker after time and together with a sagging door allows the door to move up nad down slightly due to the very small gap in the locking system... By the way, I recently found that backpressure is very important - couldn't understand it until I found out about valve overlap... Amazing what engineers come up with.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Strange one that one... but the tip was very helpful. Seems like the original black plastic coating wears off the striker after time and together with a sagging door allows the door to move up nad down slightly due to the very small gap in the locking system... By the way, I recently found that backpressure is very important - couldn't understand it until I found out about valve overlap... Amazing what engineers come up with.
You don't replace the hinges, they are welded. Replace the hinge pins.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
You don't replace the hinges, they are welded. Replace the hinge pins.

Got you - grateful - this makes it a lot easier. Thought they were bolted on. Tape is currently being assessed...

Reactions: Lex